Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 3 double action trigger pull problem

ChiefG

Finished working on a second S3, when dry firing in double action it skips once in about 20+ pull. What I mean by skip is its not activating the hammer. When the slide is off and I pull the trigger it will not activate the hammer at all in double action. Works on single action, when you thumb down the hammer first and then pull the trigger. (I hope this makes sense).

Work done:

Installed Titan hammer with EGD light hammer spring

Installed two wing Tanfoglio disconnector

Installed one piece EGDExtreme sear fitted to safety

Cut 2 coil plunger spring

Polished all trigger components, conservatively.

Retained stock sear spring and TRS

As mentioned this is my 2nd trigger job on an S3. The first one went very well and I used the same components , did exactly the same work and never had this problem. The 2nd gun is brand new which was only test fired from the factory.

I even swapped the sear group and plunger from the first one . Still same problem.

But I stop short on swapping the trigger bar. Which just occurred to me when I was typing this.

I returned the gun to the owner and advised him to test fire the gun and will work on it again this weekend.

I'm hoping someone in this forum with the expertise can help me? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you....

Honestly I mean no offense but if you're doing trigger jobs for other people (especially if you're charging for it) you need an understanding of how the gun functions.

It seems to me from the description the trigger bar is not resetting in front of the disconector. Think about the relationship between the trigger bar and the disco in da mode. Then consider what is happening in this case and you should have your solution.

Edited by BeerBaron

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it. I was planning on swapping trigger bar.

I'm not charging anything, I'm actually trying to help him out. One shooter was selling his stock 3 for over 2k with the upgrade and he was going to buy it but I told him it's too much. Just buy a stock,factory, one and I offered to do this upgrade for him. Don't assume anything....

Something easy to check first.

Make sure the pre travel screw isn't too far out and not allowing the trigger far enough forward.

Assuming that's not the issue then you need to do some fitting either on the trigger bar or the disconector to allow the trigger bar to get in front of the disco as the trigger comes forward to reset to da so it can the push against the disco to push the hammer back to the point it slips off and releases the da shot. It's usually only a tiny amount of material that needs removing.

There's quite a bit of info in the cz forum and that info applies to the tanfog equally for these parts.

Just spend a bit of time to get a handle on how those parts interact during the da stroke. That'll help you figure out what to fit.

By the way I do agree. It sounds like the trigger bar is starting too low to catch the wing of the disconnector in DA. The SA works when the trigger bar hits the leg on the sear which takes the disconnector completely out of the loop. I would try two things. Take off the slide and try pulling up on the trigger bar to make sure it is as high as it can go, It should ride along the bottom of the sear cage. You could have a burr or something else keeping it from coming to its highest position and therefore missing the disconnector wing. If that does work, look for the burrs or just polish the outside edges and pivot points of the trigger bar. You may also want to put a stronger plunger spring back in to allow it to put the trigger bar up more effectively. If this doesn't work, maybe try putting back in the disconnector that came with the gun, maybe something was out of spec? Did you remove any material from the disco? If you remove too much material from the underside of the wing it could cause this situation.

I did observed that the trigger bar was not going high as it can go and not catching something, but not sure if it's the disco or the bottom part of the sear leg.

Response to the replies above:

1. pre -travel screw is not too far out, one of the first thing I checked.

2. yes there is a pre=travel screw on Stock 3's

3. I did re-installed the original plunger with the original spring but did not help. Crossed this off the list to check.

4. will check again for any burrs and I only polished the disco with Flitz , not too much.

Beer Baron and Eng. Eli;

With your replies and suggestions, I am now armed with better info and understanding of how a Tanfoglio trigger action works and hopefully can solve this issue. Thank you so much for your help.... I will post an update as soon as I get the chance to work on the gun again.

I meant pre-travel as from memory they have a pre-travel screw up in the trigger like a stock 2 or limited etc but maybe I'm the one who needs to get a better understanding of how tanfoglio's work!

It's been a while since I played with a s3 so if they have over travel screw only then my apologies. :)

The reason parts work in one gun but not another is really down to 2 things. Tolerance stacking in the parts and in the frame pin hole locations and secondly the fit of the sear cage in the frame.

Without seeing and playing with the gun in question its hard to say for sure but for whatever reason in da mode the trigger bar is not getting up high and/or far enough forward to get in front of the disco ears/wings and then push against them.

If you can pull out the trigger bar and disco set them up together and you can see how/where they interact. That should give you the understanding of where to remove some material (either the disco wings or the trigger bar. Disco wings is easier and a cheaper part to replace if things go bad).

Yup Stock II and III's only have over travel screws. They SAO guns like the Limited do have the pre travel screws.

One thing I would suggest which makes trouble shooting much easier is to pull the sear cage, remove the sear, spring and pin, and put the empty sear cage back in with the safety of course. This effectively makes the gun DAO. It also allows you to look down through the sear cage to see what is going on with the trigger bar and disco. It's what I did while fitting my CGW disco, which required a lot of installing and removing, so it saved time.

Edited by EngineerEli

• 2 months later...