Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noveske Flaming Pig

mwx40x40

I gave one of my lightweight 16" 3G AR's to my son, and although he may shoot an occasional club level 3G Match, he really enjoys Coyote hunting with this rifle. Currently it has a Triangle Sports Comp on it. As with all comps it is quite loud. So, my question is (without going the full silencer route) how effective are the flash suppressors such as the Flaming Pig at directing muzzle blast away from the shooter? Are there any other comparable ones that screw directly on to barrel 1/2-28? I have seen some other by Gemtech, YankeeHill,etc. but they all attach to their brand of compensator. I was wondering more about ones that would attach directly to the barrel.

The Pig is effective, but God-awful heavy, especially at the end of a full 16" barrel. I sold one, & replaced it with the Levang linear comp on my 11.5" SBR. Works, and not expensive. Kinda the Miculek of the linear comps.

Edited by OPENB

Mark, take a look at the BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 comp. I shot a 14.5" gun with one of these comps on it and was impressed that it wasn't nearly as obnoxious as what I expected in noise or blast, but it must have been mitigating some recoil, because the gun was noticeably softer shooting than what I would have expected (no adjustable gas or light weight parts, just an otherwise mil-spec gun). I have been saying that I was going to put one on my 10.5" gun, but just have not ordered one yet.

Hurley

Mark, take a look at the BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 comp. I shot a 14.5" gun with one of these comps on it and was impressed that it wasn't nearly as obnoxious as what I expected in noise or blast, but it must have been mitigating some recoil, because the gun was noticeably softer shooting than what I would have expected (no adjustable gas or light weight parts, just an otherwise mil-spec gun). I have been saying that I was going to put one on my 10.5" gun, but just have not ordered one yet.

Hurley

Thanks Hurley, I will take a look. Good Luck at FB3G, wish I were able to go.

I had a KX-3 on my last AR I built for myself. I work at an indoor range and I wanted something to deflect muzzle blast. The KX-3 is very effective at this, it directed everything downrange.

I did not experience any over gassing, and I didn't find the weight to be objectionable. I would put another on one of my rifles, I do not care for the blast of a shorter barrels indoors.

I think the Surefire Warden may be something that may fit the bill more than the Noveske KX3.

I put a KX3 on the end of a 16" carbine gas system AR. It was heavy.... On the other hand it really did direct the blast forward, and was less concussive for whoever was behind the trigger. But I swear it also added more rearward push. It looked darn good, but the weight got annoying. I ended up pulling it and replacing it with a real comp and haven't looked back.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the KX3 was originally designed for the 13.7" noveske infidel barrel. Something that was short, heavy profile, but didn't have much barrel ahead of the gas port.

The flaming pig is basically the first 3 inches and first baffle of a suppressor. It's often used by entry teams in military and law enforcement. 13.7 inches is the barrel length that allows you to pin/weld the KX-3 to meet the 16 inch requirement, there's nothing magic about 13.7 inches.

Thanks guys for all the feed back. I ended up going with the Levang Linear Comp. I run a PRI quiet brake on my 3G AR and while it is a little kinder than my SJC or Mini Y, it still has a fair amount of side blast. I am thinking the Levang running everything out the front is what I am looking for. Remember, this for a Coyote Gun, not 3G.