Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ream or not ream barrel

vtecpaoche

I have an AccuShadow and my brother has a Shadow. I was planning to start reloading for both but I noticed the OAL recommended for the CZ is much shorter (1.135 OAL) than what I've been loading for my 2011 or 1911. For my 1911/2011, I've been loading to 1.163 OAL.

I have a reamer that I've used on my 2011 so that it can load longer. The CZ is pretty much stock but I was curious as to whether I should ream the barrel so that it can also accept the longer OAL. This way I can use the same rounds in both. Is there any harm in this?

My 2011 rounds can be loaded into the CZ magazine with no issues.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both an accu and a shadow. My accu (primary gun) took longer OALs compared to my shadow. So I had the shadows barrel reamed/throated to accept my reloads. I did not see any negative effects to the function, reliabilty or accuracy to the gun. A back up gun is useless if I cannot use the same ammo as my primary gun.

I have reamed all of my CZ's barrels and can run 1.170 in the barrel but not the mags. I load most of my CZ 9mm at 1.110, feeds well & is the most accurate in my CZ's 1.163 may be to long for your mags to be 100%. You might have to load at 1.150 to get it to run. Even my Czechmate mags I can not load longer then 1.160 and have them run 100% so I load 1.150-1.155 for it.

If the max OAL is 1.169, why does CZ use a much shorter length? I know that most people do not load that long nor does factory ammo come that long but I figure manufacturers would set their barrels to the max possible length unless the thought process was to have it reamed to the exact load.

I have reamed all of my CZ's barrels and can run 1.170 in the barrel but not the mags. I load most of my CZ 9mm at 1.110, feeds well & is the most accurate in my CZ's 1.163 may be to long for your mags to be 100%. You might have to load at 1.150 to get it to run. Even my Czechmate mags I can not load longer then 1.160 and have them run 100% so I load 1.150-1.155 for it.

What type of bullet shape are you using? I was going with round but I was told that the FP may be a good option.

I reamed mine the first day I had it. I shot a group first, then reamed to accept 1.135 with ACME 147 FN, shot another group, both groups were nearly identical, one no worse or better than the other but I don't have to load short for the CZ and longer for the Glocks. It took all of 20 minutes to do and damn well worth it.

can some one post a tutorial on reaming please, do you need a machine shop?

for now since I'm hand loading I can get 125, 135, and 147's RN and flats (albeit all short ) to function and shoot better than user, so part of me also questions is it really necessary?

Edited by biglou13

If the max OAL is 1.169, why does CZ use a much shorter length? I know that most people do not load that long nor does factory ammo come that long but I figure manufacturers would set their barrels to the max possible length unless the thought process was to have it reamed to the exact load.

What type of bullet shape are you using? I was going with round but I was told that the FP may be a good option.

I can use any shape, I have used MG 124JHP, PD124JHP, MG 147 CMJ, Blue Bullets 125 rn, Zero 125 JHP. You only add 0.040-0.050 of free bore. CZ's are made to European standards...only bullet shape you can get are round nose. So no need to ream the throat any longer(over 40,000-50,000+ barrels it cuts cost). You can also save on powder cost by loading shorter, 1.095-1.110 V 1.160(0.2gn's) less for the same PF. Unless you are loading for an Open gun, there is no need to load long for a CZ.

"is it really necessary" NO, but it will limit what bullets you can use. If you don't feel comfortable reaming the throat of your barrel a local gun smith will usually do it for about $20.00, takes about 5minutes to add 0.40-0.50.

can some one post a tutorial on reaming please, do you need a machine shop?

for now since I'm hand loading I can get 125, 135, and 147's RN and flats (albeit all short ) to function and shoot better than user, so part of me also questions is it really necessary?

Just throw the barrel and a dummy round in a flat rate box and send it to Matt Cheely. He'll return it next day and only charge $35.

You can also save on powder cost by loading shorter, 1.095-1.110 V 1.160(0.2gn's) less for the same PF. Unless you are loading for an Open gun, there is no need to load long for a CZ.

Yes! The "load as long as you can" comes from 2011 shooters who need to load long to get reliable feeding. If the pistol cycles, roll with it; less powder is a good thing with a non compensated pistol.

You can also save on powder cost by loading shorter, 1.095-1.110 V 1.160(0.2gn's) less for the same PF. Unless you are loading for an Open gun, there is no need to load long for a CZ.

Yes! The "load as long as you can" comes from 2011 shooters who need to load long to get reliable feeding. If the pistol cycles, roll with it; less powder is a good thing with a non compensated pistol.
Of course you guys do realize there is only around a penny's worth of powder in there anyway. Throat these short guns so you can load to typical lengths and save the trouble of" this length for this gun and that length for that gun" etc

What if someone gives you a box of factory ammo? What if you run short or forgot your ammo at a match and have to borrow some from a friend? What if you want to change to a different bullet? etc., etc. There is a lot to be said for the reliability factor of a gun that will run with anything that's within normal parameters.

I have a lot of CZ/Tanfos and they all run any factory load I've tried, the only bullet profiles which require shorter than SAAMI spec loads are MG JHPs and some TC bullets. With RN bullets Xtreme bullets they can all load at least 1.160". With RN 115s they can load 1.190" which is longer than the mags can handle.

That's 9mm, I reamed the chamber of my TS 40 ;)

That's 9mm, I reamed the chamber of my TS 40 ;)

I agree.

My Shadow and TS do have short chambers in 9mm.

But I´m running some selfmade coated 145gr RNFP from MP molds.

Soft recoil, great accuracy, Zero malfunctions.

So why should I ream the barrel?

In the .40 TS, the heaviest bullet I´m able to run is a 180gr. short nose, accuracy hm-hm and recoil is a beast (snappy).

No way to use a 200 or 220, or to have some more powder space with the 180, to play around with some softer loads.

The reason I ream mine is so I don't have to load short for one gun and long for another. Plus if you have a stubborn gun and have to load short you really don't have any room to adjust for the best accuracy. It takes about 20 minutes and between 8 and 15 turns of the reamer. One reamer will do them all except for XD/XDm's or any other barrel with a hardened finish. Anyone can do it, no special skill required. It is all an individual thing.

I have a lot of CZ/Tanfos and they all run any factory load I've tried, the only bullet profiles which require shorter than SAAMI spec loads are MG JHPs and some TC bullets.

Agree my 9mm Shadow Custom runs all factory ammo I've tried, I do load my MG 124 JHP short. This reaming may be one of those searches for perfection which is more theoretical than necessary.

Eric

Edited by eric4069

• 2 weeks later...

I reamed my SP01 to run any ammo, my SAO Shadow is a little short so I load my ammo at 1.110, Montana Gold 124 gr hollow points.

All is good in the accuracy department for both of them.

I will ream the Shadow as soon as I get around to it.