Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ream or not ream barrel

vtecpaoche

I recently ordered a throat reamer from Dave for my stock 2 barrels. After 100 turns I could only get an extra .010 for a whopping 1.075 using xtreme 124fp. Dave had me send the barrels in with the reamer to see what the issue is. I'm still waiting for a response.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange. I ordered from Dave also. Was the reamer bottoming out?

The throat reamer I received had plenty of cutting left and I could get pretty deep with mine to the point of removing 2/3rd of the rifling from the barrel if I was not careful.

Dave does good work and is great to do business with. I purchased a standard 9mm throat reamer from a different company and had the same results on my stock 2. The polygonal barrel wouldn't allow the reamer to fully seat in the barrel and lengthen the throat. Sent my barrel to Dave and he machined a throat reamer with the proper pilot so it would fit my stock 2 polygonal barrel. Once I got it back, 10 minutes of work and I had the desired throat length.

I recently ordered a throat reamer from Dave for my stock 2 barrels. After 100 turns I could only get an extra .010 for a whopping 1.075 using xtreme 124fp. Dave had me send the barrels in with the reamer to see what the issue is. I'm still waiting for a response.

The Stock II barrel requires a reamer with a different size pilot bushing at the front of the reamer, it will not be able to be reamed with the same reamer that will do your CZ barrels.

Makes sense now. I thought it was catching up because there was a slight ring forming in the barrel where it looked like the throater was bottoming out. If dave mods my throater to work with my stock 2 barrels will I still be able to ream my cz barrels with it?

Makes sense now. I thought it was catching up because there was a slight ring forming in the barrel where it looked like the throater was bottoming out. If dave mods my throater to work with my stock 2 barrels will I still be able to ream my cz barrels with it?

The Tanfo pilot will be smaller, a loose fit in the CZ barrel, allowing the throat reamer to wobble while you turn it creating an uneven cut. Call Dave and have him add one or more larger pilots. My stock 2 reamer pilot measured .3425. A standard .345 throat reamer fits my CZs. Best way to get the right pilot size is to slug the barrel

It sounds like it's a difference in the Tangfo barrel but it looks like Dave will make it right for you. At least I've learned something about the Tangfo. I would like to get one in the future to mess around with in the future especially since the prices have come down.

Heres what dave told me about my stock 2 barrels.

hate to be the bearer of bad news, but our Throater will not work with either of your two barrels.

Specifically, both barrels are hard-chrome-plated--High Speed Steel reamers will not cut hard-chrome. I'm not sure you'd want to cut through the plating anyway because bits of it could flake off during firing once the surface layer was compromised.

Secondly, the bore (land-to-land) diameter is undersize from standard. SAAMI and CIP spec for 9mm bore is .3460" minimum. In order to fit this spec, we grind pilots on our 35 Pistol Throaters to .3455"/.3450". Your barrel's bore is .3418", more than .004" smaller than it's supposed to be and the pilot won't enter it.

I was not able to gain anything from reaming a Stock 2 barrel but the Manson reamers work just fine on Stock 3/Match Elite barrels, and every CZ75/Tac Sport barrel I have used them on.

The key difference being the stock 2 barrel is poly rifled. Stock 3 is conventional rifling and I assume the lim pro is too.

So should I ream them?

I don't want to doubt Dave as he for sure knows more about barrels and reaming than I ever will but I'm not so sure the tanfo barrels are hard chromed.

Kneelingatlas may have some knowledge here as he's played with many more tanfo barrels than I have.