Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC 38 Super reviews?

slinginlead

I am looking for any DVC 38 Super reviews. I have read all about the CK arms and know the pros and cons of each one. I am just looking for some honest reviews from some actual people that have shot the DVC or have one and what they feel about it. I am leaning towards the DVC because the CK I want it a little over 750.00 more than the DVC I can get. 750.00 buys a lot of bullets.

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have only shot my dvc 38 super once, but was pretty disappointed with the # of malfs, somewhere in the 50% range with new atlanta arms ammo. WAY more than the first outings with the other handful of STI's i have. Felt awesome, trigger is very nice, accuracy is outstanding. i'm going to clean the crap out of it, lube the crap out of it and give it another go. I'm confident if it doesn't perform, STI will make it right but i really hope it takes care of itself.

I’ve got one and also am working to get it running. I ran 170pf ammo (same OAL and bullet as AA ammo) but was having extraction problems. Perhaps tuning the extractor would have fixed that but I thought the gap between the extractor and the breach was too much so I put an aftec in and that cured the extraction issue.

I’m having some malfs on feeding. I polished the ramp and that seemed to improve it, though maybe just shooting some would help. I also put a lighter spring in and maybe it would feed better with the original. Anyway, I figure a little more work in that department and hopefully it will be ready to go.

Trigger is 2 and a half pounds out of the box.

Below are some initial impressions I posted on another forum:

Just got in a DVC Open I ordered several months ago. Here’s the first impression.

Overall the quality looks good. The finish, both the barrel and the gun, is not as shiny as some pictures had indicated and to me that’s good. No blemishes on the outside.

1442057473_zps5c610f95.jpg

When I stripped it, there was a burr on the slide on a hole that had been milled. A quick filing ended that issue. Lock up is tight; the slide is tight, just as it should be on a new gun. Here it is next to a Trubor:

1442057159_zps00ed4c53.jpg

It does come with a threaded mag release on which I installed a button.

1442057436_zps97cdd80a.jpg

The tool-free guide rod is standard too:

1442057128_zpsb70ac24a.jpg

Edited by kernelofwisdom

The stippling and undercuts are well done. Next to a Dawson Signature Series:

1442057512_zps5a54c96d.jpg

The gun came with a 140 and a 170 magazine. That’s a decent upgrade and it’s appreciated. Brazos is a first class vendor as well, I have to say. I took it out to fire, but it was sprung pretty strong and the 9.3 grain of 3n38 I use on the Dawson was not enough to cycle the gun, so it was shoot one rack one so I put it back in the case after about 10 shots. However, the gun did come sighted in very close, which was nice as well.

For the hell of it, a shot next to Tanfo’s.

1442057347_zps5da0bfcd.jpg

How’s the trigger? About even with the Trubor in which I had installed a trigger upgrade kit from Brazos. So that makes it pretty nice. I didn’t measure it, but it’s much lighter than the stock Trubor – I can’t see doing anything more to than using it at this point. It’s not the glass-breaking nirvana of the Infinity trigger, but that Infinity has a lot of rounds through it and it is super light and crisp – perfection (the real kind).

The racker borders on great. The ball detents mean easy on and off, and easy switch to either side. The racker is textured well and it’s a good size; the only improvement I’d like is for it to be angled up like the Infinity.

1442057210_zps2c89d26a.jpg

1442057289_zps25a8aa05.jpg

Compared to the Trubor, it’s a nicely upgraded piece. It’s in line with the Dawson Signature IMO. It’s not an Infinity. Let’s break that down.

1442057375_zpsdbb243bb.jpg

As mentioned, the Infinity trigger is simply fantastic. The one I have is well used (mostly not by me) and was set up to be great rather than a production piece and it is well ahead. How much practical difference that may make I don’t know but a fine trigger is worth noting. However, the DVC trigger is ready to go out of the box even if it’s not at a truly hand tuned level.

The magwell nod goes to the Infinity as well (at least the one I’ve got), as the larger unit supports my hand during gripping better and is a more generous target for reloads.

1442057236_zpsea09155f.jpg

The Infinity grip wins for me. The shape of it really encourages the hand to ride very high in the grip. It’s a slightly different shape that makes a Also, no grip safety is a plus in my book.

Just guessing but I bet that AA major ammo is pushing mid 170's PF. It should feed fine; it has with all my other open guns. But anyway, it's an issue I'm working on too. My ammo is the same OAL and bullet as the AA major - I load to adjust PF for each gun though the AA makes about 169-170 out of the Tanfo 38 super so I use it in that.

Accuracy is nice on the DVC. The grip is very well done. Being a fairly long gun with a pretty good comp on it, it doesn't jump much. Sorry not much practical observations - I just haven't had time to work with it much.

Thank you Kernal for the insight.

I will get mine this week. A local vendor got one and my name is on it so I will be working on it towards the end of the week and weekend. Going to load me up about 300 rounds of "not quite major" rounds to break it in a little before I start hammering on it with my major loads.

Very cool. I think you'll like it as a package. I've got some bugs to work out but I'm still happy with it. Anyway chime in after you do some shooting with it and let us know how it works and what you think. Im going to shoot this one a few times this week and get a feel for it.

I ordered an 9mm open DVC in Jan of this year... received it 7 months later... had a problem with it.. seems STI cut the ramp too deep.. and it allowed the brass to bulge where it was un-supported causing the brass to be unusable.. after contacting STI they sent a pick up order for it .. when I was working up a major load. the brass bulged at 6.6 grs of AutoComp not up to major standards... 6.8gr is Major on my TruBor...

THE KICKER ... after receiving my brand new DVC ... STI won't look at it for 2-1/2 months because warranty work back log... not real good service for a brand new gun that I only shot about 400 rounds thru it... to say I am not happy is an understatement !!!!!!!!!

Cecil, I completely understand your frustration. I would be very upset too. I am sorry you are having issues. I know sometimes things get by QC but to put you on the back burner again just adds to insult. I get my .38 DVC today so hopefully by the end of the week I will have some feedback on how it is running and if there are issues with mine.

Okie dokie, got to shoot the DVC, this is what my observations are.

Fit and finish are good. Gun is noticeably lighter than my Trubor. Recoil is about the same as with the Trubor, using the same ammo. I will put it on a Chrono this weekend and see what it really says.

Had a couple of FTFeed and a couple of FTFire. Seems it got better with a little time on the gun. I believe once I shoot a little more it will work out a little better. Defiantly do not like the STI followers, but I understand why they have to make them the way they do. I used my already tuned mags but I am going to have to work on the slide lock lever a little for my liking.

Gun was very accurate and was very close on Cmore being set up. I had to move it to he left a little and down for it to be on at 17 yards. Would I buy another one, yes I would. I just don't think I would get it in 9mm.

Yes, primers were hit. It is from a same batch of ammo I loaded up and shot in my Trubor and there were not any FTF before. I am chalking it up to "i need to clean the gunk out of the gun" issue. There was a film of junk on every thing and I am sure it is in the firing pin hole too. I will clean it tomorrow night and see what it yields. If all else fails I have a sure fire way to make the primers fire, so I am not to worried.

I've put a larger magwell on the dvc and took it out to shoot yesterday with about 200 rounds.

It had a couple of failures to feed early but none in the last 100 or more rounds. Still working on it.

I lost some time on the draw compared to the gun I'm used to but not surprised about that. What was surprising is the gun seems to shoot very flat and very controlled. Maybe the work they did up front on the comp and slide do have an effect. Also I had put in a lighter recoil spring.

Next time I'll take a gun to directly compare but I was very pleased in how the gun tracked.

I am still having some failure to Fires. Seems the gun is not locking up all the way. They are getting better but there is only 200 rounds on it. I am happy with the recoil and I have a PF of 165.5 at this moment but I am going to up that some. I am not going to try the lighter recoil spring till I get my locking up to work a little better. Seems it is only doing it now when I use the slide racker now and after it fires it does not do it any more.

When I took the gun apart I noticed the trigger components were polished and that make a difference in the trigger feel. Love the tools guide rod, no more digging around for a paperclip to cut when you need to take the barrel out of the slide.

So far I am loving this gun over the original Turbor. I did put in a SVI trigger cause that is what I am used too and I put on a Gold *thumb rest [generic]*. The shooters behind me in the squad says it is a loud gun, but I did not notice it.

Shane... I can understand an error in fitting & cutting the ramp in my DVC... what I cannot understand why STI takes 2-1/2 months before they can look at my DVC for warranty work on a BRAND NEW GUN.....

its evident that they have a warranty repair wait length time.... its obvious they need to hire some gunsmiths.. you can believe my next gun won't be a STI ..

Glad I ran into this thread as my wife just ordered one for me. Was wondering if there are any follow ups to those that are having FTFeed issues and extraction. Wondering as the round count increased does the DVC works it kinks out. I'm a firm believer on the Aftec extractor as all my 2011/1911s have them. So I plan to swap that out regardless.

To those that are having FTFeed, you using 38 Super or 38 SC brass?

Does the DVC prefers .355 or .356 pills? Guessing .355. Planning on using Montana Gold 124gr. Got a few powder to work with. Will plan to do the initial testing and sight in with some AA ammo.

Thanks

Edited by MrRick

All I can say is, I have a new AFTEC extractor in the package which is so tight, even with old springs, the rounds will not feed. Then I have another AFTEC extractor that has a few thousand rounds on it and it will not even hold a piece of brass at all and that is with new springs. I have tuned the extractor in the DVC and I am not having any FTE at all, just FTFire. I am headed to the range to put about 500 rounds in the gun.

Mr rick, I use Montana Golds 124 all day long, and I do not have a problem. I use .355 and I would shoot those till you ave several thousand rounds in your gun before you go to .356.