Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC 38 Super reviews?

slinginlead

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, got it to run a 100% today after messing with the extractor and swapping guts in the 170mm mag. Had an issue with the follower sticking and going sideways. So I took the guts from my .40 170mm mag and put them in the DVC. Shot 50 rounds and they cycled perfect. Before I couldn't get 3 rounds to cycle out of the 170mm mag. Lets see how it does on Saturday's match.

Extremely pleased with it. Ran 100% flawlessly at the match yesterday. I even forgot to oil it. I am considering dropping a 9mm barrel though. Lost about 170 pieces of brand new brass yesterday though.

What I have taken away from this and other discussions is don't waste the money on STI pre made guns. Fit, Finish, and quality control suck. Go big on SVI or a CK. Or build a gun with STI slide and frame, but everybody else's parts. Noted!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow kinda negative post there. I just got my dvc 38 in last week. The first round was a ftf after oiling it ran fine for 50 (stock mags) 2 days later ran 185 thru stages with no issues including a bill drill with .16 splits. I spend a lot of time thinking and researching guns and came to the realization STI got smart and doing the gun smithing that everyone else is doing to their guns. My friends have spend more money/time building or modifying their STI's to get basically the same gun I got for less money and I will have a higher resale than a custom gun. Is it a perfect gun probably not I still can't shoot magical A's every time. When I sat down and did the math I realized the true value of it. I like the gun,it shoots straight and fast for me that's the only real requirement of a open gun. The fact it looks good and my buddies are jealous is just an added bonus.

Mine has settled in and run without issue the last couple of range sessions. I had replaced the extractor soon after I got it which cured failure to extract. I had some initial failure to feed, but that has gone away it seems. The only negative thing I have to say now is I wish the racker could be useful on the left side of the gun.

Trigger is around 2 pounds now - very nice. I put a larger magwell on it and it grips well. Feels very light all around - swings and stops pretty quick. I'm a major SVI fan but I would not bad talk this gun. Stills seems overall like a strong package to me.

image1-2_zpsagq6k0ap.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 22 January 2016 at 9:28 PM, kernelofwisdom said:

I wish the racker could be useful on the left side of the gun.

can you not use it on the left hand side? if not why not

thanks

noted i never reported back after my first totally crappy session/break in.  except for some clearly mag-related issues (not that those are good) my 38 super dvc open has been perfect in some 8-10 uspsa matches since.  very happy with it.

as far as racker, as i turned my c-more sideways, the stock racker won't fit on the left side.

14 hours ago, mickd1 said:

can you not use it on the left hand side? if not why not

thanks

Since it is not angled much it would clobber your thumb.  But of course it's no big deal on the right side; some people prefer it there.

Edited by kernelofwisdom

On 1/20/2016 at 0:48 PM, Expflier said:

Wow kinda negative post there. I just got my dvc 38 in last week. The first round was a ftf after oiling it ran fine for 50 (stock mags) 2 days later ran 185 thru stages with no issues including a bill drill with .16 splits. I spend a lot of time thinking and researching guns and came to the realization STI got smart and doing the gun smithing that everyone else is doing to their guns. My friends have spend more money/time building or modifying their STI's to get basically the same gun I got for less money and I will have a higher resale than a custom gun. Is it a perfect gun probably not I still can't shoot magical A's every time. When I sat down and did the math I realized the true value of it. I like the gun,it shoots straight and fast for me that's the only real requirement of a open gun. The fact it looks good and my buddies are jealous is just an added bonus.

So now that you have Had the DVC a few months what can you add for a yes or no on it.