Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambi Short Throw Safety Recommendations?

jkrispies

I'm looking to convert my standard AR ambi safety to a short throw. Hoping for a simple swap. I'm a lefty, so I'd like a standard or extended sized lever on the right side of the switch rather than a shorty that is on some versions. Any recommendations? Thanks, J

Edited by jkrispies

The seekinsprecision ambi can be set up for a 90 degree or 45 degree throw. You can also choose to put the long of short lever on either side.

As a lefty, I use this ambi safety, and like it alot.

I found dsgarms was the cheapest.

Edited by cactusbrew

The seekinsprecision ambi can be set up for a 90 degree or 45 degree throw. You can also choose to put the long of short lever on either side.

As a lefty, I use this ambi safety, and like it alot.

I found dsgarms was the cheapest.

Thanks! I see seekins mentioned a lot. I didn't realize I could swap the arms to either side. I'll check it out! As far as "cheapest" goes in not too worried about that. I'll pay for quality, and I'll guess there probably isn't a great fortune's worth of difference with this particular part...

I meant cheapest in the context that dsgarms.com had the seekinsprecision ambi at a lower price then seekinsprecision own site.

Like you, I buy quality first. I selected the seekinsprecision because everything seekins I have ever owned has been top shelf. They are also major supporters of 3gun here in the northwest and rocky mtn states.

I have the Battle Arms Development and AXTS ambi short throws and I prefer the design of the AXTS and how the levers attach but in use the B.A.D. do feel better...I have yet to try the seekins but the price is very appealing as they have lowered their price considerably. I do believe the seekins is more of a 60 throw and not a true 45.

Just installed a Seekins in my first AR10 build. The barrel has both ends machined to allow 60° throw if inserted one way and 90° if inserted the other way. And, yes, both levers are easily detachable and can be reversed to suit your preference. The lever has a little higher profile than a standard selector and also has a convenient texture to aid in getting a good purchase whem manipulating it. One final cool feature is the variety of colors available.

I have the Battle Arms Development and AXTS ambi short throws and I prefer the design of the AXTS and how the levers attach but in use the B.A.D. do feel better...I have yet to try the seekins but the price is very appealing as they have lowered their price considerably. I do believe the seekins is more of a 60 throw and not a true 45.

Just installed a Seekins in my first AR10 build. The barrel has both ends machined to allow 60° throw if inserted one way and 90° if inserted the other way. And, yes, both levers are easily detachable and can be reversed to suit your preference. The lever has a little higher profile than a standard selector and also has a convenient texture to aid in getting a good purchase whem manipulating it. One final cool feature is the variety of colors available.

Hhmmmm.... now that I'm thinking about it, my initial thought process is wrong (though I still want a short throw) and maybe somebody could help me. I used to have a YHM raised take down pin installed on my receiver but it interferes with my thumb engaging the right-side safety when on safe because the head of the pin is basically the same height of the safety and very close to the lever. It still works, but it's not ideal. Nowadays I really miss that take down pin when I'm disassembling the gun. The short throw won't make a difference if it is still laying flat while on safe, but a raised safety might rise enough above the take down pin head to solve my issue. Could sombody mic the height of the Seekins safety so I could measure it against the height of the take down pin? Thanks, John

Edited by jkrispies

We have 5 different arm styles available in ambi 90/45 selectorshttp://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222440

Is the 45 degree a drop in part for a standard receiver or does it require a specially designed short-throw receiver?

They work with any standard lower and the same selector can be used for 45 or 90 depending on how you install it. The markings on the receiver may not line up in 45 degree configuration exactly, that's all.

We have 5 different arm styles available in ambi 90/45 selectorshttp://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222440

Is the 45 degree a drop in part for a standard receiver or does it require a specially designed short-throw receiver?
They work with any standard lower and the same selector can be used for 45 or 90 depending on how you install it. The markings on the receiver may not line up in 45 degree configuration exactly, that's all.

I just ordered some different sized bed takedown pins which will help. Maybe next month I'll hit you guys up on that switch. If I have further questions I'll contact you via PM or through the website. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed some Battle Arms Development takedown pins and a KE Arms 90/45 Selector. Looks and feels like a good combo! Still waiting on my new scope to come in, but I have the BUIS zeroed and will get to the range as soon as I can to try it out, and I'll be giving it a fair amount of dry fire practice in the meanwhile as well.

What a huge difference in feel between the standard selector and that short throw! Wow!!!

post-6651-0-76437400-1445138676_thumb.jp

PS: Great customer service from KE Arms, by the way!

Edited by jkrispies

• 2 weeks later...

Another follow up:

I ended up moving my rear BUIS, so I had to re-zero it, which I did the other day. I've only slow fired the gun off bags, but with 100+ rounds through the gun and several hours of dry fire practice, I can say that the KE Arms 45 degree safety works great. I suppose that the jury is somewhat out until I can do some fast fire practice with it (need my work hours to let up some before that will happen) or just use it in a match, but I have no reason to think that it won't perform as well as it has been.

One thing that I really like about the 45 degree throw is that I'm able to ride the safety with my thumb as I'm firing the gun, similarly to way I function my 1911 safety. In the past I disengaged my 90 degree safety with my trigger finger, but with this KE Arms safety, I'm able to intuitively do everything with my thumb.

Excellent purchase, especially for the price!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish the ad gave more info. Which side is safe and which is fire? Using my imagination, I'd think that I'd prefer safe in on the trigger side and fire in on the thumb side... which would be the opposite setup as most people because I'm a lefty. Ultimately, I think that I'd prefer the short-throw lever now that I'm using it, but again I have absolutely no experience with this button design.

The Elftmann safety is pretty freaking cool. Push the right side with your trigger finger (right handers) to disengage the safety and start shooting. Press the left side of the safety with your right thumb to engage it and make the gun safe