Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me chose a 3 Gun Shotgun

BC27

I'm curious - why is the Field version of the M2 the one that is recommended? Also, what's a good price to pay for this model?

The 21" M2's are just about unicorns until just recently. Most took months to get after ordering. Just about any LGS that stocks a decent stock of Benellis would have 24 & 26" field guns in stock. Because you could not get 21" Benellis easily most dealers order Berettas in 21" when everyone wanted 24" barrels.

The M2's run about just under $1300 plus any mods.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm curious - why is the Field version of the M2 the one that is recommended? Also, what's a good price to pay for this model?

The 21" M2's are just about unicorns until just recently. Most took months to get after ordering. Just about any LGS that stocks a decent stock of Benellis would have 24 & 26" field guns in stock. Because you could not get 21" Benellis easily most dealers order Berettas in 21" when everyone wanted 24" barrels.

So what barrel length is optimal for 3 Gun?

• 2 weeks later...

So what barrel length is optimal for 3 Gun?

If your a baller you will have multipul lengths for the type of stage you shoot. Short gun for blast'em stages and long gun for the far target stuff.

So, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I ended up with a Benelli M2. When I made this thread, my budget was around $1500 but It seems that went out the window because I sent it to TTI to make it 3 Gun ready. They had a BF sale so that's my excuse for going over budget. I won't get it back for several weeks but I'm really looking forward to the day I get it back!

I was looking for the same answers. It seems that all is derived from budget. so to summarize .

Under 1K Stoeger from MOA

between 1000-1500 VM or 1301

and above that M2 + custom work.

Am I understanding correctly ?

So, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I ended up with a Benelli M2. When I made this thread, my budget was around $1500 but It seems that went out the window because I sent it to TTI to make it 3 Gun ready. They had a BF sale so that's my excuse for going over budget. I won't get it back for several weeks but I'm really looking forward to the day I get it back!

awesome - enjoy your new M2 when it comes back. I sold my JM Pro for a TTI M2 and haven't looked back.

I was looking for the same answers. It seems that all is derived from budget. so to summarize .

Under 1K Stoeger from MOA

between 1000-1500 VM or 1301

and above that M2 + custom work.

Am I understanding correctly ?

Yeah, that actually wraps it up pretty well. That breakdown could be a sticker and save some trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went through this last year. Went with the 1301 and can't be happier. I added a Nordic +3 and a limbsaver recoil pad. Flawless operation. Personally loved the stipling and the light weight. It is easy to point and fast to shoot. I don't have any negative feedback to give. Used the money saved vs the M2 to buy a ton of shells and working to get better at shooting it!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Edited by inspector1999

in our little group we have...

Benelli M2's by teh owner, by TTI and by Crum.

Beretta 1301 by the owner

Stoeger by MOA

we have had excellent results with all of them, each owner swears by his choice. Everyone has had some minor issue, easily corrected, usually operator error and each has essentially run everything it has been fed. None are apparently any faster to load than the others and none apparently shoot any better.

Is this a wide survey across 1000's of guns and owners and hundreds or thousands of rounds? No. It is however a small group that shoots together regularly so we can sort of keep an eye on how much BS vs truth there is in our results.

My personal choice was the Stoeger by MOA. I can own this gun and shoot a about 5,000 rounds for the difference between this and a fully tricked out Benelli M2 by TTI. In my case more shooting will do more for me than more gun. Or I could arguably purchase a second M3K for backup and be even with the M2.

What choice should one make for their own 3-gun SG? one they are comfortable with. Are you looking for a gun with a long track record? M2, Is money no object? M2 then a 1301 then a M3. A bit cost conscious? M3K.

Do you shoot a major match twice a month? I might just go with an M2, but then again having two guns.....?

So all this means is look around, check the failure rates out and get what you are comfortable affording, then go out and PRACTICE. More rounds downrange will do more for you than will $1000 more on the gun.

Then again, this is only my opinion.

in our little group we have...

Benelli M2's by teh owner, by TTI and by Crum.

Beretta 1301 by the owner

Stoeger by MOA

we have had excellent results with all of them, each owner swears by his choice. Everyone has had some minor issue, easily corrected, usually operator error and each has essentially run everything it has been fed. None are apparently any faster to load than the others and none apparently shoot any better.

Is this a wide survey across 1000's of guns and owners and hundreds or thousands of rounds? No. It is however a small group that shoots together regularly so we can sort of keep an eye on how much BS vs truth there is in our results.

My personal choice was the Stoeger by MOA. I can own this gun and shoot a about 5,000 rounds for the difference between this and a fully tricked out Benelli M2 by TTI. In my case more shooting will do more for me than more gun. Or I could arguably purchase a second M3K for backup and be even with the M2.

What choice should one make for their own 3-gun SG? one they are comfortable with. Are you looking for a gun with a long track record? M2, Is money no object? M2 then a 1301 then a M3. A bit cost conscious? M3K.

Do you shoot a major match twice a month? I might just go with an M2, but then again having two guns.....?

So all this means is look around, check the failure rates out and get what you are comfortable affording, then go out and PRACTICE. More rounds downrange will do more for you than will $1000 more on the gun.

Then again, this is only my opinion.

Very well said!

Gotta admit that while the Benelli outshoots me I got it because I didn't want to be making equipment excuses... and it's a really nice all-around gun, it stays clean, and by swapping extension tubes it's a great clays gun.

Nobody a fan of the SLP from FNH?

Buddy of mine bought one a year or so ago ($1050). Came with the single "do it all" piston. Wouldnt cycle on AA 1 1/8oz 1300fps. Had to buy special piston ($100). Gun ran great after that. Day before RM3G, some pin inside the bolt/carrier broke rendering shotgun useless. Gets home, calls FN, ships them gun on his dime ($35). FN looks at gun and says they wont warranty or even work on it since the gun is modified (loading port opened up and welded lifter). They also wont sell him the pin because it's a "gunsmith only" part. Has to pay to get the gun shipped back to him ($35). They didnt put the bolt back in the box with shotgun when they shipped it. Call and asks about it and they can't find it. He's still fighting with them to get the bolt back. He bought the FN because he didnt want to spend as much money getting the Benelli. He has already spend that much into it and still hasnt gotten it fixed yet.

Also, he doesnt shoot a lot of matches. He might have had 1500 rounds through it.

I want the Benelli M2 and I'd like to send it to TTI but I don't think I can make the schedule work out for the first match. Leaning toward the 1301 now with a tube extension. I figure if I like it, the 1301 will keep me entertained for a while before I go completely hog wild. I also got suggested the new Browning A5 but it appears to only hold 5 rounds and I didn't see a magazine extension for it.

I've been nothing but impressed with my a5. The autoload feature is handy. I have around 2500 rounds through it so far, it's been great. The only thing it needs is a tube and open up the port. Get it, see how it shoots slugs and add a rear sight if necessary.

Edited by billdozer