Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me chose a 3 Gun Shotgun

BC27

I think I've narrowed my choices to the Remington Versamax Competition Tactical and the Benelli M2 Field. I think I'm leaning towards the Versamax but most of what I've read is a year old now. Is the Versamax still a good choice over the Benelli? Is it worth getting the Comp model or just the Tactical?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buy a Benelli M2 Field, the Versamax's require replacing quite a few parts with Benelli parts. Lately I've seen the M2 Field guns turning up at most dealers, even the locate Bass Pro had both the 21 & 24 in stock at a reasonable price.

I've used both, finally settled on the Benelli. The Versamax can be a good gun, but the quality of the parts are not on par with an M2. The advantage of the Versamax is significantly lower recoil, at the expense of weight. The Versamax is a brick compared to an M2. The advantage of the Benelli is extreme durability and reliability, and quick handling due to the light weight, at the expense of heavier recoil(not unreasonable but noticable compared to the Versamax). My M2 has been worked over by TTI, and it is super easy to load, shoots slugs well, and has been very reliable.

I have a Versamax tactical and love it. I also found it used, and at a great price. In fact the price I bought it for was less than 1/2 of what it cost originally. So even if I had to put $100-$150 into it, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. If I were you, I would talk to some guys at the range and see if anyone has one for sale. Used is the way to buy, if you can. Just check it out thoroughly and shoot it prior to committing. I have no regrets buying used.

You don't mention how much 3-Gun you'll be shooting or a budget. The Stoeger M3K with MOA's upfit is excellent and under $1000.00

True it is not a Benelli, but you have a lot of $$$ for practice ammo and match fees between them.

same boat , looking for a 3gun SG but can't decide. i have looked at Beretta , Benelli and Stoeger .. but don't often see FNH SLP comp model mentioned much ..looks like a good candidate also. Are there any pitfalls that guys/gals are aware of with the FNH?

I've had two jams in my M2 over 5000 rounds of bird so far. One was a bad primer (no boom) and the other was a mangled shell I shouldn't have put in the gun to start with. I'm happy knowing that the failure rate of my M2 is nearly the failure rate of the ammunition. I will clean and lube it after every match, respring it once a year and know that it will last many seasons at the rate I shoot.

There are a few old timers around that suggested the M2 based on more shooting experience than I can imagine. I owe them a thank you. With the M2, I can focus on 100% of my energy improving my technique. "What if my M2 breaks" never crosses my mind.

You don't mention how much 3-Gun you'll be shooting or a budget. The Stoeger M3K with MOA's upfit is excellent and under $1000.00

True it is not a Benelli, but you have a lot of $$$ for practice ammo and match fees between them.

Agree.

Personally I have a M2, and have never regretted it.

Greg Jordan - Browning A5

Joe PItha - Just won 3GN regional this weekend -Browning A5

Both great guys, and you are correct, the A5 is now becoming very popular. The A5 takes a lot of the counting away, since it auto loads the shell so nicely. I personally would look at the A5 before the M2 if I were buying new.

This SG would be used almost exclusively for 3G (about 1 match a month). My budget is about $1500 and I don't mind spending more to "buy once, cry once".

This SG would be used almost exclusively for 3G (about 1 match a month). My budget is about $1500 and I don't mind spending more to "buy once, cry once".

Dude, with that budget, a TTI or Accurate Iron M2 has your name all over it.

Dude, with that budget, a TTI or Accurate Iron M2 has your name all over it.

Wouldn't that be in the $2400 range? That would be pushing it for my budget. I'm really liking the M2 and the 1301 so I think it's between these two now.

I shoot a 1301, it is a great gun, needs very little work to make it a good shooter. HOWEVER, if I was buying a shotgun today I would buy a M2, since they are now more available. First add an extension tube, the fit good set of sights to it, then the good Taran Tactical lifter. Save up a few extra bucks to open the loading port. You should have good shotgun for around $1600-1700.

What kills the 1301 is the serial number position, keeps you from opening the port more. I think the lifter on the 1301 is perfect, I have had problems keeping a shotgun feeding 100% with a fully welded lifter. To be honest I have big hands and thumbs, like wear XXL gloves, so my thumb never gets caught up on the 1301 lifter.

I had the same problem you are having now. I chose the 1301 comp. It is an awesome choice. The price was good, it needed little to get it 3 gun ready (extension tube from Nordic and a cheap limbsaver butt stock pad) and it runs flawless. It runs all 1 1/8 Oz loads with zero issues and I don't like cleaning it so it runs good dirty. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

What kills the 1301 is the serial number position, keeps you from opening the port more. I think the lifter on the 1301 is perfect, I have had problems keeping a shotgun feeding 100% with a fully welded lifter. To be honest I have big hands and thumbs, like wear XXL gloves, so my thumb never gets caught up on the 1301 lifter.

Looks like there's an adiquate amount of room to open the port up. I've seen several photos of 1301's with the port opened without touching the serial number. It is a bit close but looks very doable.

I bought a 1301 when they first came out, there where no reviews at the time so I wasn't aware that they tend to go thousands of rounds without cleaning or malfunctions and that they eat anything you feed them. I'm very aware now.

Looks like there's an adiquate amount of room to open the port up. I've seen several photos of 1301's with the port opened without touching the serial number. It is a bit close but looks very doable.

I have mine opened up pretty good, I load deuces weak hand. It is VERY close to the serial numbers. If I load quads, I'd like it opened a bit more.

The 1301 will run nearly anything even so dirty you would not believe. Finally cleaning it tonight.

Another vote for the 1301c. Great gun, never malfed, runs on Walmart federal and rios. Slugs are perfect windage.

Just needs a little loading port work to make the load 2s go down properly, change the front sight, extended tube and match saver type device. But then that's nearly ever shotgun used for 3 gun.