Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you could only have three pistol calibers...

Absocold

Time for a forum war, boys!

Just for fun, what if we decided to stop using all but 22LR (this one's a no-brainer) and three other pistol calibers, which do you think we should keep? The three should cover all the bases or as many as possible: Target shooting, self defense, competition, war, plinking, hunting, law enforcement, etc. These shouldn't necessarily be your personal pet calibers, but more of a "Having these three will cover everyone's bases unless they're a weirdo".

They don't have to be popular or current calibers and remember, we're keeping .22 Long Rifle so there's probably no pressing need for other rimfires. Might even want to make them all rimless for ease of transition from revolvers to autos.

.38ACP, 45ACP, .50AE?

3mm Kolibri, .28 cap'n'ball, .45 Winchester Magnum?

22TCM, 357SIG, .454 Casull?

Oh, the possibilities.

What do you think would be the best trio?

For the big picture - 9 luger, .45 ACP, and .41 mag (I like it better than the .44 mag, but obviously in the minority on this)

My personal choice would be - 9 luger, 38 Super (and it's variants), .45 ACP

Edited by Bamboo

I don't own a .44Magnum and I much prefer the .41 Magnum, but the larger bore does have some value here and there so I went with that. Even though its discussion is forbidden herein, people do use handguns for purposes other than competition, that is why the .44 makes the list.

9, 45 and either 357 or 44 - tough choice between these 2.

.44 Magnum meets the minimum performance for hunting with a handgun in all 50 states. The .357 Magnum does not in many states.

9, 45 and either 357 or 44 - tough choice between these 2.

.44 Magnum meets the minimum performance for hunting with a handgun in all 50 states. The .357 Magnum does not in many states.

My thoughts as well. if I didn't go 44mag, it would have been the .357 but there's more versatility with the .44. Worst case scenario, a .44mag on the hip and a .44mag lever action in the hands would be a nice pair.

Yeah would have to be 9mm and 45 acp for sure. The last one is a toss up 44 mag or 357. I guess that would depend upon the scenario but since most of my stuff is in 357 if it all hit the fan tomorrow I would choose 357.