Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you could only have three pistol calibers...

Absocold

Results so far:

5.7x28 1
9mm 18
.38 Super 1
.357 Sig 1
.357 Mag 6
10mm 5
.40 S&W 4
.41 Mag 1
.44 Mag 2
.45 ACP 15
.45 LC 1
.454 Casull 1
.460 S&W 1
.50 WE 1
Votes for .38 SPL combined with .357 Magnum; those voting rifle cartridges and .22LR thrown out for not reading past the topic title. Also another three people voted 9mm only, saying it's enough for everything.
9mm and .45 ACP are clear winners at this point. And it seems a lot of people are going to find hunting rather difficult, especially up north where critters get big and on the plains where close shots are hard to come by. Even down in Florida where the deer only get as big as a large dog, they do have a bear season. Can you take a bear with 9mm? I suppose you could but... you go first.

It would seem as though that if it is a commercial pistol then any caliber it comes in would certainly qualify as a pistol cartridge !

Because of the Thompson Contender, you have to draw the line somewhere or nearly anything could be called a pistol cartridge. Still waiting on the .50BMG from Thompson. I'll bet they've thought about it.

So to be fair, and to keep things from getting silly, I'll use Wikipedia's list and anything else not listed with an overall length shorter than .45 LC (lots of rifle rounds just over that limit). No wildcats with fewer than 1,000 guns produced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_handgun_cartridges

Gun store clerk from the terminator said it best:

JaJNEU3.jpg

9mm and .45 ACP are clear winners at this point. And it seems a lot of people are going to find hunting rather difficult, especially up north where critters get big and on the plains where close shots are hard to come by. Even down in Florida where the deer only get as big as a large dog, they do have a bear season. Can you take a bear with 9mm? I suppose you could but... you go first.

I'll save this for the rifle calibers in Poll #2 :) I don't think I'd feel safe hunting bear with a handgun regardless of caliber - call me a wuss!

44 Special

44 Magnum

45 ACP

Could be talked into replacing the 44 Special with the full-house 10mm Auto.

Have a Dillon dedicated to each.

For the purposes of this list, I would consider any special/magnum combo to be the same due interchangeability in the same gun.