Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easy Brigadier Front Sight Removal

Less

The FS' on Brigadier models are notoriously hard to remove from the dovetail because they're staked. In the past, we've heard of people busting out a BFH and a steel punch, sometimes even breaking the FS or dinging the dovetail...

The BJ P500 sight pusher seems to do a great job of pushing out the sights with minimal effort, and importantly, no damage to the dovetail or the stock sight.

FSRemoval1.jpg

No damage:

fsremoval2.jpg

Worked well to push the Dawson .140T" sight in, too...

I did try it with a 92A1 and the FS came out fine, since the profile of the sight base is rounded/contoured to match the slide, it peened just slightly...

I've been looking at the B&J tool.

Looks like you've got the Standard Universal. Most of the places I've seen reviews say that you really need the Pro Universal to avoid problems. Lots more money.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/658993/b-and-j-machine-p500-pro-universal-front-and-rear-sight-tool?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Did you have any issues using Standard? I know the front staked sight on the Brig and 92A1 can be a pain.

Dave

Same sight pusher tool I use.

I only outfitted one Brig Inox with a Dawson FOFS.

That was a 96.

I didn't feel like shelling out the bucks for 3 more Dawsons.

EDIT: that black plastic spacer...I think I moved that to the other side of the slide, so the actual sight pusher screw has less of a distance to travel.

I think I also had a piece of square brass stock drilled to fit the end of screw so it didn't mar the stainless finish

Edited by Chills1994

I've been looking at the B&J tool.

Looks like you've got the Standard Universal. Most of the places I've seen reviews say that you really need the Pro Universal to avoid problems. Lots more money.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/658993/b-and-j-machine-p500-pro-universal-front-and-rear-sight-tool?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Did you have any issues using Standard? I know the front staked sight on the Brig and 92A1 can be a pain.

Dave

You really don't need the "holder" - basically the pro just includes the standard setup with the "clamp"...

Hell, I'd consider loaning it to you if you paid shipping to-and-fro, maybe bought me a beer...

Same sight pusher tool I use.

I only outfitted one Brig Inox with a Dawson FOFS.

That was a 96.

I didn't feel like shelling out the bucks for 3 more Dawsons.

EDIT: that black plastic spacer...I think I moved that to the other side of the slide, so the actual sight pusher screw has less of a distance to travel.

I think I also had a piece of square brass stock drilled to fit the end of screw so it didn't mar the stainless finish

Mine feel out, so, I can move it around a lot!

The "tips", but just the tips, do rotate while you're screwing...

I tend to hold them in place while I'm screwing it in.

(Um... Phrasing?)

I guess, all kidding aside, a brass tip would be better...

Thanks for the info, Less and for the generous offer.

I'm looking for something to have on hand to loan out among friends around here. This one looks like it will probably work out for me.

Dave

Thanks for the info, Less and for the generous offer.

I'm looking for something to have on hand to loan out among friends around here. This one looks like it will probably work out for me.

Dave

Sure thing...

• 8 months later...

I know it's very expensive, but I ended up impulse-purchasing the MGW Sight Pro. The Beretta slide shoe comes with an accessory to remove/install dovetail front sights. I switched the Trijicon FS my 92G-SD came with for a Dawson in less than 5 minutes. No marring on either sights.

I know it's very expensive, but I ended up impulse-purchasing the MGW Sight Pro. The Beretta slide shoe comes with an accessory to remove/install dovetail front sights. I switched the Trijicon FS my 92G-SD came with for a Dawson in less than 5 minutes. No marring on either sights.

That's good to know!

Pretty much came to the same conclusion. Save up for the MGW Pro. They have shoes for all my platforms, 92, PX4, HK USP, AND Walther PPS. Can lock in vice for tough sight removals but easy enough to use at range to adjust front sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...