Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I forgot my belt.

Seancass

yeah... Just airing out the shame here...

I had been looking forward to this match for a month or more! Spent nearly that entire time convincing my buddy to attend with me. I brought a bunch of extra supplies to make sure he'd be fully prepped for big stages. Opened the back door of my truck and looked at my range bag and instantly knew. My belt was not resting on top of the bag like it's supposed to be. I didn't know where it was, but I knew it wasn't anywhere near my truck!

Luckily, thankfully, and by the grace of God, somebody brought a spare belt that fit my gun and moonclips! It was a small match and I managed to eek my way into second place overall. One completely bombed stage away...

But I can't complain! A gentleman competitor kept me from spending the day as a score keeper!

edit: terrydoc reminded me: I'm a particularly petite fellow(I'm scrawny!), and the other guy was the size of a normal adult. His belt wrapped around me about 1.5 times, so some of my reloads were nearly behind me! ok, it wasn't That bad, but it did make me laugh a little when I put it on!

Edited by Seancass

Yep had that happen to one of the guys at our State Championships a few years ago, realized on the Sat morning and drove home about an 2 hours or more to grab it came back and shot the match ( was a pretty big fella so no one had a spare rig). I probably would have either stayed home when I got there or not shot and helped out.

Mind you I probably would have realized the night before when I unpacked my car where I was staying.

Edited by terrydoc

I have done it twice this year. First time was a USPSA match and thankfully my wife called when I was 20 minutes away and was able to turn around and get it. I was only a little late for registration. The second time was two weeks ago at a 3gun match. I was an hour and a half from home when I realized it. Someone had a holster that fit my M&P and I ran mags out of my pockets. Managed to salvage the day.

I've done it. Night before a match I changed my range bag setup. So of course the next morning I forgot my rig. The match was about an hours drive so rather than loose 2 hours to go get it and probably miss the first stage etc. I called my good wife and she brought it out to me. What a lady. :)

I forgot my gun to a level 2 Steel Challenge match. Luckily it was close by and I was able to haul ass back home and come back, and bogart a loose RO to catch up with my squad. I doubt that would've happened if I weren't around friends. Luckily there are match directors willing to cut a dumbass a break.

• 3 weeks later...

l have a laminated card that hangs on my range bag. When my bag is packed for a match it goes in the bag when everything is checked off. It has 3 simple things on it. 1. Gun with appropriate ammo. 2. Belt rig for division I'm shooting. 3. Magazines for gun I will be shooting.

Eyes and ears stay in the range bag along with tools and extras. I figure as long as I have the 3 things on my list I am set any match.

USPSA Open National, Las Vegas - realized at 2nd rest stop 3 hrs from home, overnighted complete new rig from Shooters Connection.

SMM3G, Mesa, AZ - discovered while unloading at hotel, wife was home, overnighted belt/holster rig.

Montana Multigun - discovered Friday evening, match on Saturday, no chance, withdrew when noone had a suitable substitute. Drove all the way home to pick up, then back to Denver for Noveske 3-Gun.

Must be a case of CRS.

Thanks for sharing. I have forgotten a few minor things but nothing that I could not borrow. I always go through that mental check list. I have stopped at the side of the road after about 10 miles into a drive to double check. I did forget to bring my shooting shoes once and had to shoot in my Merrell shoes. That was not too bad since there was not a ton of running.

I am on a trap league and did forget to bring my shooting clothes and bought some shorts, shirt and sandals at Target over lunch.

Couple of months ago, I was ROing someone (belt and mags ready to go), who upon the "Make Ready" command noticed that he had left the gun back at the house.

Edited by Big Guy

Ha, dang...made it all the way to the line before he realized he didn't have his gun? That's pretty bad...

Couple of months ago, I was ROing someone (belt and mags ready to go), who upon the "Make Ready" command noticed that he had left the gun back at the house.

My mental mantra prior to leaving for a match:

Bullets go into the magazines.

Magazines go into the gun.

The gun goes in the holster.

The holster goes on the belt(s).

The belt goes on me, along with eyes and ears.

I can get hungry and thirsty if I forgot food. I might get sunburned without sunscreen. I might have sore feet 'cause I forgot my chair. But unless I forget my wallet or my gun breaks, I'll be shooting.

I can get hungry and thirsty if I forgot food. I might get sunburned without sunscreen. I might have sore feet 'cause I forgot my chair. But unless I forget my wallet or my gun breaks, I'll be shooting.

I like it and will add it to my routine. When I pack the car and am ready to go, I imagine myself at a stage and the RO saying "Make Ready" .

I like it and will add it to my routine. When I pack the car and am ready to go, I imagine myself at a stage and the RO saying "Make Ready" .

Oops, forgot mags go into mag holders

and spare gun (or parts for my one gun). :cheers:

And I usually forget my hearing aids and batteries.

And Lots of Extra Ammo and batteries for my C-More.

Like I said yesterday, I am adding this to my routine.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said yesterday, I am adding this to my routine.

I will do a mental walk through - hat, eyes, ears, belt, gun, mags, bullets, shoes, towel, drink cooler, etc. So far, so good.