Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comfortech Stock on a VersaMax

Darqusoull13

I have a friend that I've been getting slowly addicted to shooting over the past year. We are at the point where she's looking at getting her own shotgun after shooting my M2 for a while at matches and practice. While she loves the weight of the M2, due to some swimming related shoulder issues most days are 50 rounds max of bird shot or 2-3 full power slugs before she's had enough of the Benelli.

She had a chance to shoot the VersaMax which was much easier on the shoulder overall but not quite ideal. I know there are other recoil pads available for the Remington, but I was wondering if the Benelli Comfortech stock can be made to fit a VersaMax? If I understand correctly, the stocks are not directly interchangeable, but I'm wondering if it can be done with a little creativity?

get a sorbathane(?) form pachmeyer. they did it for me. bad shoulder.

too long humping ruck with a dislocated 1 I didn't know about, after falling down a loooong hill.

I use a 1100 and have for years. have 2 identical. pad is about 2"s thick. shoot a lot of 3 gun around Bragg.

150 rds of shot 10-12 slugs over a long day

talk to someone in c/s at pachmeyer

good luck

jjw

p.s. most any commercial can be fitted. talk to brownels c/c guys best in the business, also

p.p.s can she change to a gas gun ?

Edited by jjw

Hi jjw thanks for the reply and suggestion. I'll see if anyone local has one in stock.

The backup plan is to fit another stock or pad to a VersaMax but she is definitely going to a gas gun. I'm most familiar with the ComforTech but I'm hoping she can get a feel for some other options if the ComforTech won't work out.

You might want to look into 20ga for her. I shoot with a lady that uses a Benelli 20ga and she has no issues with long steel, flippers, etc. with a modified choke. The recoil of the 20ga in the Benelli is about equal to the recoil in my Versa Max since the gun is so light and the inertia recoil system. For the softest shooting SG I would look into a Remington 1100 or 11-87 in 20ga.

• 3 weeks later...

What is she using the shotgun for? Clays? 3-gun? If it's steel targets, I wonder if 20 gauge would be enough. They are fine for clays though...

For the VM, the LOP is already quite long in the stock configuration. Adding extra pads might make it worse, and the LOP might be too long for her.

Ditch the idea of shooting full power slugs. Get some Fiocchi low recoil slugs. Those have I think have less recoil than my 2 3/4 Dr eq bird loads. Also which loads is she shooting for bird shot?

This is for 3gun. 2 3/4 dram Federal loads in my M2 were as low as I could get to cycle 90% ish for her. The same load in the Versa was much more manageable. She's definitely sticking to low recoil slugs. So far it looks like she's leaning towards a VM with a KickEez recoil pad since the ComforTech doesn't seem possible.

She got a chance to run a VM with a nice pad and it was a pretty dramatic difference in how well she shot and the size of her grin.

The VM has the least recoil bar none. If you can find the Remington 1 1/8 ounce 1100 fps like recoil loads, they are softer still. After some break in, most can get them to run the Win AA 980 fps loads which are silly soft. Good sorbethane pad helps too.

The recoil on a VM is pretty soft, I don't know if a comfortech stock would lessen it much. My first question would be, how tall is she? Unless she's 6-2 the lop was probably way to long for her. Shorten the stock an inch (or two) and I bet she would find it perfect. I'm 5-11 and I had to swap out to the shorter Remington pad that comes on the Versamax Sportsman model to get the lop where I needed it.

Edited by T Bacus

I tried shooting the 980 fps Winchester loads when my VM was pretty new and it wouldn't cycle. After at least a half a year of practice and shooting matches, some accidentally made it into the mag tube. At first I thought I had a squib, but when the targets went down I realized what happened. So yes, VMs can cycle 980 fps and yes, they are silly soft!!!

Edited by GetAwayDriva