Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swage It XL650 Pocket Swager on Ebay

Raydee38

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason to get your feathers ruffled. Dillon just doesn't warranty aftermarket swagers. They make two that have backup rods. One is just for swaging and the other is on the 1050.

If they just wanted to piss people off or send free shit out all the time they would have already done it years ago.

Not defensive, and no ruffled feathers, thanks for your concern(s). I simply asked, IMO, a reasonable question and received replies ranging from an implication that I was "hung up" to snidely saying I should call Dillon and report back their response. Anyone with an ounce of Neurons knows what Dillon would say; but as of yet, they haven't said it or I haven't come across their answer. Therefore, a person such as yourself (jmorris), an engineer type that knows how to find the answer to a problem such as applied force, would be a natural to answer my question. BTW, I seek out your posts on questions I have about gadgetry as relates to reloading equipment. I also know you might not have any interest in finding an answer to my particular question since you run 1050's.

I just received a very nice call from the maker of the Swageit and I asked him if the product would affect the Dillon Warranty and he stated (if I understood him correctly) that Dillon hasn't responded concerning the add on. He did mention one other thing as well, and I suspected as much; any attachment to a Dillon machine not manufactured by Dillon will potentially void the no BS warranty. The Swageit is unique in that there isn't any way for Dillon to tell if the product was ever installed in he first place since it is a direct attachment to the frame. Can't wait to try it out on a couple thousand LC 223 brass.

Best of luck, but with regards to Dillon's warranty, you've left a significant trail of evidence that you will have installed one of the swagers on your machine. The Dillon folks regularly participate in this forum and have likely monitored this thread. Should your press suffer damage consistent with over-stressing the shell plate, or the like, you might be out of luck with the warranty. I hope it works well and you have no issues. Again, best of luck.

Best of luck, but with regards to Dillon's warranty, you've left a significant trail of evidence that you will have installed one of the swagers on your machine. The Dillon folks regularly participate in this forum and have likely monitored this thread. Should your press suffer damage consistent with over-stressing the shell plate, or the like, you might be out of luck with the warranty. I hope it works well and you have no issues. Again, best of luck.

As a matter of fact, I've been hoping Dillon would respond on this thread, and after speaking with the manufacturer of the swageit, I'm confident in two things; one this product WILL perform as advertised and two, it will be an add on that won't effect the warranty.

BTW, thanks to you for your service and if I'm reading the online name, then thanks to your son/daughter for there service.

Any damage or broken parts on Dillon equipment resulting form the use of this, or any other aftermarket product, are not covered under warranty.

Keep in mind the until you get to a rim size such as is found on a 50BMG, it is quite possible to distort the case rim when swaging without supporting the case from the inside.

That is in addition to potential damage to some machine parts.

Thank you for your info. Have/has Dillon looked at this particular item? Looks to be a very well made piece of kit and would turn the 650 into an even more incredible machine. I've got one on the way and since I have 2000+ LC 223's to swage, it's going to get a fair tryout. I will keep the info flowing when I get it running.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Other than the issue of how much force it is potentially putting on the machine and the case rim in order to swage, the Swage It seems like it will be very dependent on alignment as it is not connected directly to the platform and instead only connects to the frame. While this easing installation, there are a number of tolerances built into the ram, priming disc and platform assembly and the Swage It will need to maintain that alignment and it is dependent on two relatively small screws attaching to the frame to accomplish that. Also, without the spring, it won't return to neutral.

I really need to buy a 1050 some day. :goof:

I think it's easy to loose sight of the big picture and over capitalize on a 650.

650 + casefeeder is what $750 these days?

People usually add roller handle + strong mount another $140

Then add swager + extra toolhead

A few other goodies and you're up well over $1000 and climbing. In fact the 650 as shown on dillons site with bullet tray etc is $1180.

You still only have 5 stations. You still can't swage and load in a single pass. You still have priming on the down stroke. No easy path to automation etc. and by using aftermarket swager you've voided your warranty terms anyway.

Now a 1050 is $1700 but comes with case feeder and roller handle. Doesn't need strong mount. Has 8 (well 7 really) stations. You can swage and load in the one pass for 9mm and probably 223 as well if you wanted to.

I guess my point is people look at the base price and say: a 1050 is nearly $1200 more than a 650 but in practice once you spec up a 650 to get the most out of it the gap is actually a lot smaller. I think if you load bulk 9 or 223 with crimped brass the 1050 is really a no brainer.

Don't get me wrong I love my 650 and have over capitalized the shit out of it with bullet feeder, light kit, toolheads etc etc. but I don't want a powder check (would need a 1050 to run one with the mbf), I don't load 223 and the 9mm I load is not crimped. For me loading bulk 9 and 38 super it's great. But if I wanted to swage or trim on press I'd get a 1050 for sure.

Thanks jmorris. My 1050 smarts are not quite the full quid but I thought even using an mbf that uses up a station to place the bullet that you could still use the pc and seat and crimp separately on the 1050. Or is it no doable because the pc has to be in a set location on the 1050 (like it does on the 650). That makes sense as obviously the bullet feed must be after pc.

That's one part I like about the gsi system (not loosing a station) but the mbf seems like a much better collator and a very reliable setup all round (I know mine is).

• 3 weeks later...

I believe you could take some of the stress off the shell plate by running a gutted Lee 223 crimp die down and touching the plate with the bottom of the die when the handle is all the way forward. But I still worry about the case rim.

I believe you could take some of the stress off the shell plate by running a gutted Lee 223 crimp die down and touching the plate with the bottom of the die when the handle is all the way forward. But I still worry about the case rim.

How would that help exactly? The swaging with this device in an XL 650 occurs with the handle forward (and the shell plate at the lowest point in the stroke) while a die in the tool head doesn't touch the shell plate until the top of the stroke.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one. Just swaged my first 1000 rounds. It works VERY well. Takes less force than the GS. I bought the GS a while back. Used it once. It sits in my spare parts box. Was not impressed at all with it. There is very little clearance between the plunger and the shell plate so if it wasn't aligned PERFECTLY it hit the shell plate putting a lot of stress on it. Also, there was no tactile feedback as there is with the Swageit. I feel comfortable using the Swageit. You can really feel what you are doing. Also, there is no alignment or misalignment problem. The way it is shaped it aligns perfectly. Don't have to remove the primer assembly, just the primer punch. I like it.

• 1 month later...

Swaged a few thousand rounds the other night after I got it. It works realy well. I think I was doing about 80 pieces a minute! It doesn't take much force at all to take care of the crimp but I do see how your could torque the machine if your not paying attention because the only thing that stops you going forward is the swage it pushing into the case.