Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prize table thoughts for Level II matches IOT grow competitors

JHicks8h

I feel the same way about gun raffles. Don't choose a random number! What are we kindergartners? :) The first person to buy a raffle ticket should get the gun - order of purchase.

Of course, then no one other than the first person would buy a ticket and the gun raffle would lose money and gun raffles would probably stop altogether... that may not work.

Trophies have meaning associated with order of finish - prizes do not. No reason to conflate the two.

Why even score the match? Wouldn't want anybody to get their feelings hurt because they got a lower placement.

You could call it "The Safe Zone" match.

I bet it would be a grand success.

I feel the same way about gun raffles. Don't choose a random number! What are we kindergartners? :) The first person to buy a raffle ticket should get the gun - order of purchase.

Of course, then no one other than the first person would buy a ticket and the gun raffle would lose money and gun raffles would probably stop altogether... that may not work.

Trophies have meaning associated with order of finish - prizes do not. No reason to conflate the two.

Why even score the match? Wouldn't want anybody to get their feelings hurt because they got a lower placement.

You could call it "The Safe Zone" match.

I bet it would be a grand success.

Why do trophies have the place you finished on them? Because trophies are related to your performance in the match. Why doesn't the mag loader you picked up from the prize table have the place you finished on it? Because it does not relate to your performance in the match. They are two different things.

Again, trophies have meaning associated with order of finish - prizes do not. No reason to conflate the two. Nothing "safe space" about that - just logical.

I don't have a problem with a match that wants to arbitrarily connect the two - that their prerogative. I don't think it's necessary to denigrate those who don't.

What would happen to shooter participation if prize tables were eliminated all together and match fees were cut in half?

Where I am in this game I won't be in contention for any good prizes if it is order of finish, so therefore, random suits me best. If I were in contention to win I would obviously want order of finish.

You still have to practically beg shooters to sign up for the match. At least that's been my experience with the SC State steel challenge match. I think the best legit steel challenge match on the east coast is the PA State match. I should be shooting that match today but had to pull out this week when I cracked a tooth :(.

to be fair, steel challenge is different from uspsa. i shoot steel every week, but I have no interest in traveling or paying more than $3 to enter a steel match, since it will be the same old stages.

regarding the original topic, I don't really care too much about prize tables, but I think it's pretty lame to give prizes of any significant value to class 'winners'. that just encourages sandbagging and douchebaggery. Generally, I agree with ctay. Nimitz also has a great idea, cash prize for division (not class) winners and merchandise prizes for everyone else. Makes sense to me from shooter perspective and also from a sponsorship perspective.

Edited by motosapiens

I'm wondering what sponsors want a random draw, NONE that I have talked to when soliciting for our major match. (3 Gun, not USPSA)

Maybe I need to have that as an option when they donate - random draw or Order of finish

Admittedly, I am speaking from experience in bicycle races, but I would be surprised if it were that different. As a sponsor, I would rather my products get into the hands of ordinary folks who actually buy their own gear, aren't sponsored by a competitor, and are less likely to immediately turn around and sell it for cash.

All anecdotal of course but I spoke to a sponsor at a major match very recently that prefers random for the very reason motosapiens mentions - product into the hands of regular competitors. They are more likely to appreciate it, use it and most of all - talk about it.

Neat idea that they did at the Steel Challenge in November.

Big board full of numbers in order. Prior to the award ceremony, they handed out a printed list of all the prizes, each of which had a number. You had a chance to look through the list, decide which numbers you wanted.

They awarded prizes in order of finish. When you were called, you picked whatever number off the board you wanted and took it to the window where they gave you the corresponding prize. They would announce what numbers people grabbed or you could watch and mark them off on your list.

I loved the idea. Everyone got a chance to see what was on the table (on paper), and you had a good chance of getting something that you wanted/liked and would more likely keep. Kept things moving too as you didn't have to wait for people to walk the tables trying to decide what they wanted.

As a match sponsor I can tell you that random draw has much more value to me than order of finish. Why? Becuase when the top shooters get a prize they usually just sell it to help offset match expenses ... When a rank & file shooter wins a nice prize they tell their buddies about it at every chance they get for the rest of the year. ... " Yo, Billy Bob, did you see this cool gun I won from the prize table at last month's match ...." That's marketing leverage ....

Give the top shooters what they want for their top performance - cash

Give the rank and file shooters (who will never finish in the top 3) a chance at a great prize

Give the sponsors marketing value for their generous donations

(And don't give out anything for class wins ... That's just silly ... Can someone tell me what being '1st C class shooter' at a major really means ...? If there were no such thing as 'class awards' there would be no such thing as sandbagging becuase theer would be no reason for it ...)

Edited by Nimitz

Can someone tell me what being '1st C class shooter' at a major really means ...?

I'll try it's pretty complicated...1st C class shooter means you beat at least one other C Class shooter. See I told you it was complicated, didn't I! :)

(Sorry just couldn't resist)

At the SC State steel match this year we recognized top 3 by division and top 3 based on the Main, Rimfire Pistol and Rimfire Rifle matches.

Nice to see at least MD has figured it out .... Now get the match a great prize table & you'll hit a home run for sure ....

I've had a couple of people say they would work on a prize table if I wanted. I have zero desire to solicit donations for it but I'll gladly let someone else do it.

Two entry fees one for the competitor who is shooting for prizes and a lower fee for one that is shooting for the competition and is not concerned about prizes.

Like I have told people before I have won a gun with a value of $750 and it only cost me $1500. ?