Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FYI if your new to dillon

Probably not the best idea to vacuum up powder either. Static and powder, us know.

Has anyone ignited powder by vacuuming up small quantities of spilled powder from a shellplate?

Never heard of it happening. Most vac motors are shielded from the debris which they are collecting. My WAP vac has a bag so I don't worry about using it at for vacuuming reloading debris (powder, shavings, etc.).

Probably not the best idea to vacuum up powder either. Static and powder, us know.

Has anyone ignited powder by vacuuming up small quantities of spilled powder from a shellplate?

I think it's one of those myths that keeps going round in circles on the interwebs. Eventually someone will reply "better safe than sorry"

Guilty! Digging through all the cat hair to get them out was not fun.

If you want a shocking experience, try vacuuming up toner from a large format printer. I don't know what it is about the stuff, but you get non stop static shocks from a plastic hose.

Have not sucked up the pins or set off powder but I did set off a primer when it was getting sucked up by my dyson vac which has a powered brush wheel in its vac head. I think just the pressure of the stiff bristles pushing the primer into the carpet was enough to set it off. It was federal spp after all.

Have not sucked up the pins or set off powder but I did set off a primer when it was getting sucked up by my dyson vac which has a powered brush wheel in its vac head. I think just the pressure of the stiff bristles pushing the primer into the carpet was enough to set it off. It was federal spp after all.

I don't see how that could possibly fire a loose primer (I could be wrong), I'd guess a static charge possibly?

While playing with the new 550. I had a little mess of powder from the first hundred. Got the shop vac out, and discovered that you should remove your convertion plate pins first. Needless to say they were easy to retrieve from the shop vac.

LoL....I have done that myself.

I have a small shop vac. It has a long hose so the motor/tank sits out of the way. . I started using a brush tool. That helped--still picked up powder and small debris as planned. But, it still tended to suck up pins on occasion. I cut a small slot in the head to reduce the suction some. I can run the brush across the shell plate area--pick up the loose powder but leave the pins.

I never ignited any powder with a vacuum but I saw the ass end of an old Electrolux launch about 300 feet when the vacuum hose was stuck into a drained gasoline tank. It was the old version that had the sled runners and the huge heavy aluminum rear. Sounded like a cannon when those gas fumes met the sparking brushes in the back of the high speed motor.