Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" 2011 recoil systems

mpthole

I'm just getting into shooting Limited and have a 6" 2011 with lightened slide. This gun came with a 5" guide rod and this ridculously long looking recoil spring plug. It seems to cycle much smoother with a 6" guide rod and normal spring plug.

This has my wondering now... What is the preferred recoil system for these guns?

Ok, that makes sense.

So what are most people using these days...? A 5" rod, long plug (that shortens the spring for a 6" gun) and what weight recoil spring? OR, if using a 6" rod and normal plug, what weight recoil spring?

I'm using 180gr Zeros @ 175 power factor.

Hello: Is it a bushing or bull barreled gun? I learned from Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports that for a bushing barreled gun use a 6" reverse plug and a 6" guide rod with a 5" 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring. Other options for 6" guide rod are the Briley aluminum ones that lightens the front some. You can get those from Sean at Power Factor Shooting here in the vendor forum. For a bull barreled gun a two piece 6" guide rod is what I have used with a 6" reverse plug. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric