Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Problems

NickBlasta

Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone can lend me some advice. I recently purchased a pair of MBX 170mm magazines, and when using them, I'm having the same problem with both magazines. During use, at some point through the magazine, the round will nosedive, press against the front of the mag body, and jam there. The slide will hang up on the rim and refuse to feed that round. I then have to strip the mag and change to another. I'm using these straight out of the package with round nose 125gr 38 Super. Never had this with my STI magazines. Any ideas?

u4H6Mtm.jpg

Xsg6Doj.jpg

What is the OAL of the rounds?

If they're too long, that can cause them to drag.

OAL is 1.268".

I'm not saying that that's your issue but 1.268" is long.

I'd try loading your rounds at something closer to 1.235" and see if the issue goes away. If you do shorten the OAL, you might also consider lowering your powder charge a couple tenths and re-chrono.

Edited by al503

Nick, if those are fmj's, eventually you'll clog up your comp with lead

from the base of the bullet - unless you're making a determined effort

to constantly clean the lead out each week.

Better off with JHP's or CMP's - the lead base is completely covered

with the jacket. :cheers:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know that this is an older thread but I'm going to resurrect it. Having nose dive issues with both STI (Grams guts) and MBX mags. 38 Super, not SC. I was running 1.235-45, shortened down to 1.225-30, but still getting nose dives every 50-60!rounds. Thinking about trying 1.215-20. Is there potentially another problem I'm missing?

1 hour ago, dawsonprecision said:

Hello,

The Max OAL of a STI magazine is 1.250. With 38 Super, if you load shorter than 1.240, you can get rim lock.

hmmmm, I originally developed this length/load for the old caspian mags. If I was right around that 1.240 range and still getting nose dives what else should I look at?

Usually, the culprit is the magazine spring. A weak spot that can cause the spring to collapse a bit.

Try a new one and make sure the spring is straight from base to follower. No twists.

Install the new spring, fill the magazine to capacity, then let it set for a couple of days. Springs have memories.