Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Problems

NickBlasta

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2015 at 9:52 AM, lcs said:

I concur with others who have said "too long". OAL 1.234 (easy to remember)

Sorry to dig this back up I guess, but I loaded some to this OAL (and I now use JHPs) and the problem still occurs. It also still occurs with Grams guts instead of the MBX guts. The rounds drag on the front of the mag and nosedive.

7 hours ago, NickBlasta said:

Sorry to dig this back up I guess, but I loaded some to this OAL (and I now use JHPs) and the problem still occurs. It also still occurs with Grams guts instead of the MBX guts. The rounds drag on the front of the mag and nosedive.

1.235 for sc and 1.225 for super.  If still dragging then try a touch shorter or a RN bullet.

Others mentioned about nose diving.   If no problem with cartridges rubbing frt of tube than its the double stack to single stack transition is too wide.  Needs to be squeezed some if you are mechanically inclined. 

If you watch Adam's videos ( Atlas Gunworks ) you will see how to tune the follower so it doesn't drag.  I load mine long and I never have had that issue.

Does the issue occur when you have just a few rounds left in the mag or all the time?  My guess is that the follower is rubbing the tube somewhere in the tube when it switches from double to single stack.  It is just a guess though.  Can you take pic of the empty mag looking down into it?  I would like to see how the follower is sitting at the top of its range to see if it has the same angle that mine has after I tuned it.

The only other thing that I suggest is to switch to Super Comp brass.  I couldn't get the Super brass to be consistant at all. When I switched to Comp, the issues went away!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 0:53 PM, redfisher said:

I know that this is an older thread but I'm going to resurrect it. Having nose dive issues with both STI (Grams guts) and MBX mags. 38 Super, not SC. I was running 1.235-45, shortened down to 1.225-30, but still getting nose dives every 50-60!rounds. Thinking about trying 1.215-20. Is there potentially another problem I'm missing?

Yes. Sometimes the recoil spring is too heavy and that will cause nosedives.  My theory is the mag spring does not have enough time to get the round all the way up in the magazine before the slide starts forward, causing a nosedive. I run a STI 38 Super loaded to 172PF at 1.225" and use a 7 pound recoil spring. BTW, never had a problem with 38Super, so never switched to SuperComp. YMMV

Edited by dons