Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any RVer's?

Build a bridge... There's an old story about a man that finds a genie in a bottle and is granted one wish. He wants to go to Hawaii, but won't fly and gets seasick on a ship. He asks the genie to build a bridge for him to get to Hawaii. The genie refuses such a huge undertaking and demands the man make a second wish. The man requests that the genie explain women to him. The genie then asks the man if he wants a suspension or an arch bridge. :)

But back to the OP's original question, lots of RVs show up at major matches. Some ranges even clear spots for the folks that will dry camp without hook ups. All the other matches I've been to have had RV parks a reasonable distance from the range.

My wife and I have looked into the possibility of a 5th wheel, but what I'm willing to pull down the road versus what she is willing to stay in has yet to materialize. For her, size does matter.

Bill

I'm 30 years old, so I've got a long road ahead, but if guns are still legal when I'm in my 50's or 60's, I plan to have an RV with full reloading setup that I'll drive from state to state. It's a dream...

Yep, my dream also.

I've Motorhomed since the late seventies , looked at taking the coach to Tulsa for the IDPA Nats last year but i wasn't sure about the campgrounds i found online so i hoteled it.

Advantages : same bed every night,easy to carry a variety of clothing for sudden climate changes,no supprise hotel signs telling you you cant bring you'r babbies to the room with you !

Disadvantages: Fuel + campground could exceed Gas and hotel, not staying at match hotel-hangin out with other shooters.

There are only two CG in Tulsa. I drove out to the last USPSA Nats there a few years ago. The CG on Mingo is ok it is a place to park, it is not, NOT a resort. You have power, water and sewer for a reasonable rate. Personally I prefer this to a hotel, I can head ou to hang out, and still have the comfort of my own shell.

If you compare Air, Hotel, car rental and meals to CG Fuel and food, for one it is close, travel with a friend and split the cost and it is much better to drive.

i agree with Jim anytime air fair is involved then RVing is going to be cost afective as long as you have the time to travel.

Some of the newer ranges have camping facilities and some like Clark County out in vegas are awsome.!

We bought a 5th wheel this year and my first thought was taking it to major matches within the region...We took it to 2 matches...one about 3 hours away that allowed dry camping at the range and another that was about 5 hours away and we stayed at a county campground...It was good to have the wife, kid and dog along for the weekend, and maaaaybe saved a couple of bucks...but I would probably just assume stay at a hotel for a major match and not have that much more to stress out about.

I think a RV is a very cool idea, as long as you're not making a 2500 mile cross country trip. That kinda distance gets old in a hurry... especially if a mechanical issue crops up. But, if you're within a two or three day drive... and have the time to drive... I think it's a very nice way to go. Nothing like having your own bed and "stuff" with you.

I would definitely want a little "scooter kinda a thing" on a back rack so if I ran out of some important item I wouldn't have to try and snuggle the RV into a tight shopping center parking place. But, if you can afford a nice RV you can probably afford the scooter.

I always thought that a truck and trailer is the way to go. That's what I do, got a lil toy hauler.

I get pretty good milage, can bring the Harley and when I get where I'm going I have a full size truck to drive around.

Outside kitchen is not a good idea, my opinion, also a waste of space. Get a grill and a two burner table top, set it up on a table.

40'DP would be a great rig, but you can oversize, many places you'd have trouble getting into.

My personal choice is a class A, I'd go diesel at 38-38 feet and tow a Jeep. You can tow 4-down. Easy to manage.

If you don't add the cost of the RV, it is cheaper to drive the RV vs a car and hotel. Definitely cheaper than flying. All you need to two extra days.