Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: Do you want to see a Competition ready HK?

apetrulis01

Simple questions. Would shooters like to see a competition ready HK. Competition sights (Fiber optic front, etc) and a better trigger out of the box. Also, if you would like to see something like that would it be in the P30 or VP series? Just a poll I am taking so I can bring it up to the rep at HK. Not saying it would go anywhere but having other people stating the same intentions may help.

I would love a P30LS out of the box ready to go with Fiber optic front, adjustable rear and a trigger job.

Thank you for your respones,

Adam

Edited by apetrulis01

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a VP9 for a while and was unimpressed. Some of it was the mag release (a trainable issue), the trigger ergonomics rubbed on the side of my finger rather than the middle of the pad and the trigger wasn't as good as advertised out of the box.

I would much rather see the Sig 320 beefed up and made competition ready.

I think the HK match trigger is one of the best triggers I have used, put that in the hammer fired P30 and fix it up with the rest of the competition goodies and that would make a sweet platform. Or they could just make more 9mm Experts.

I had a VP9 for a while and was unimpressed. Some of it was the mag release (a trainable issue), the trigger ergonomics rubbed on the side of my finger rather than the middle of the pad and the trigger wasn't as good as advertised out of the box.

I would much rather see the Sig 320 beefed up and made competition ready.

Have you tried a P30? I too have tried the VP9 and I find the trigger reach for me is a little too far forward (small hands). The P30 is perfect though. I run the Stock P30LS just as good as my tricked out Glock 17 I shot before joining HK.

Thanks,

Adam

HK Sponsroed Shooter

In order to have an HK that anyone will take seriously I think you need to come out with a 5'' gun. The fiber adjustable sights are nice, someway to get a larger paddle release would be cool, keep the great grips, but a real competition gun is a must.

P.S. A VP9S (single stack) would be a HUGE seller.

I would have no interest in any "competition ready" HK. It is not just a myth that they do not care about their customers. They want big contracts like they got with Border Patrol. That's also why you won't see them in a local/sheriff/state police officer's holster very often. And that's also why they are extremely rare in our sport, too. If they want to be taken seriously, they need to release their parts to the aftermarket and start actually caring about customer service.

I would have no interest in any "competition ready" HK. It is not just a myth that they do not care about their customers. They want big contracts like they got with Border Patrol. That's also why you won't see them in a local/sheriff/state police officer's holster very often. And that's also why they are extremely rare in our sport, too. If they want to be taken seriously, they need to release their parts to the aftermarket and start actually caring about customer service.

^^

this.

it's well known, hk has a disdain of the civilian market.
on top of that,they would have to start from scratch . generally ,their trigger systems aren't very comp oriented by design . every HK i've shot had a mile long trigger travel-reset , and a very heavy break weight.
there's so many brand more dedicated to the shooting sport, HK might have to keep their business mindset intact ; to date it served them well at not getting too much attention from the shooting sport crowd ; why changing a win-win recipe lol.

VP9L with an overtravel stop would be interesting. I've been playing with a VP9 for a couple months now, and although the springs available make the break pretty good, there is way too much overtravel in it. Reset of course would be reduced with less overtravel.

I've had a P30L in LEM for quite a few years now, but in my opinion, the striker fired guns make hammer fired guns obsolete. Ergonomics are good, but there's just too much going on with the fire control.

Ran both a P30LS light LEM with Gray Guns reduced reset competition trigger package and then a VP9 with lighter TRS for 3gun for quite some time...........using Taylor Freelance magwells and +5 basepads. 5" VP9L with worked over trigger and magwell would be the way to go, along with Dawson sights, for my interests as the trigger is better for competition than the P30 series.

I'd be surprised to see a competition-ready release from the factory.

I shoot my VP9 in IDPA matches with my carry holster from time to time. A competition ready VP9 doesn't need a button release , the paddle is fine.

Need - fiber sights, 5" barrel, beveled magwell

Want - adjustable sights, lighter trigger/shorter reset

VP9L with an overtravel stop would be interesting. I've been playing with a VP9 for a couple months now, and although the springs available make the break pretty good, there is way too much overtravel in it. Reset of course would be reduced with less overtravel.

5" VP9L with worked over trigger and magwell would be the way to go, along with Dawson sights, for my interests as the trigger is better for competition than the P30 series.

I agree with the above. I owned a VP9 for around a month and managed a few "good" classifiers with it but I ultimately sold it. Had it had the above, I would still have it. Probably two.

I'd need to be able to purchase match springs though too - striker, recoil, firing pin stop, what have you in different spring rates.

I shoot Grayguns-modified P30 and P30L LEM in both sports. I'd be happy to see competition-oriented anything - reduced rate recoil assemblies, P30L LEM with variant 4.1 parts and normal reset like on HK45, off the shelf DA/SA or VP9 match triggers - from HK regardless of a model, although a VP9L would probably be a more popular choice.

Edited by YVK

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted NO. To me HK is a good defensive/working gun, and there is hardly any need for yet another "competition" model. My experience with HK goes all the way back to about 1981, when I bought the P9S Target, but today there are so many fine choices. I don't think an HK with fiber sights would bring anything new to the already crowded table.

Plus in straight on, "out of the box" competition the P30 loses to Walther PPQ, with better trigger and no first shot penalty, at much lower cost.

Great service gun... keep it that way!

Edited by Foxbat