Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

limited to open

clawson2011

anyone have their limited gun converted to Open? I am thinking of making the change after trying an open gun and finding the dot easier to shoot with my vision.

Only reason I am considering a conversion over a new build is that my limited gun is almost brand new and it is heavily personalized to the point I want to keep the frame and grip.

I've done it as an emergency stop gap

A few month before the 2012 open nationals both my open guns broke

I built a new open for the match and had a new limited gun in the safe that I built a new open top end for and drilled and tapped the frame the scope mount and used it as my backup gun

You can simply put a red doy on your existing pistol and shoot open. There is no rule that says you have to run a comp. There is no real reason you cannot shoot open with 40sw.

I started with a limited gun in 40, then bought a new top end for open. I ket it 40, because I didn't want to load 9mm. Really, the only disadvantage is only 21 rounds in a mag instead of 28. Or, you could have a big stick welded up.

I really like being able to go back and forth on a whim. Since I have never shot a stage that did not allow at least on easy mag change opportunity, I don't feel disadvantaged at all.

I ordered a fastfire bomar adapter mount and a fastfire3. Gotta try out a 170mm MBX 40 mag also. give you 26 which I think should be good for a while. I will build an open gun in 9 or 38sc once i am sure the dot helps with my vision.

Thanks again for the help.

no comp, no load change . It isn;t about recoil management right now. it is being able to shoot and see my sights. I will have an open gun built but it will be 7-12 months for me to secure funds and have Cheely build it. I am sure i won't be able to break into A class nor probable B but as that i am not classified yet in limited it isn;t a big deal to me. I just hate Missing when my eyes tell me I am on target cause i can;t see the sights.

Might have a couple holes drilled in the hybrid island like a modified gun

Edited by clawson2011

red dots definitely take a lot of vision issues off the table. I have terrible stigmatism from a cornea degenerative cornea disease (keratoconus - basically egg shaped cornea). I struggled shooting uncalled mikes etc with irons. switched to open and improved massively. Going the way you are (with reversible mods) is a good idea to get your feet wet but ultimately you'll want a 'proper' open gun. :)

no comp, no load change . It isn;t about recoil management right now. it is being able to shoot and see my sights. I will have an open gun built but it will be 7-12 months for me to secure funds and have Cheely build it. I am sure i won't be able to break into A class nor probable B but as that i am not classified yet in limited it isn;t a big deal to me. I just hate Missing when my eyes tell me I am on target cause i can;t see the sights.

Might have a couple holes drilled in the hybrid island like a modified gun

You could also have a 40 comp barrel installed and shoot 40 in open

Hello: I would work up a load using the lightest bullets you can find for your 40. I would try some 165 grain or 155's. The slide mounted optic should give you some idea if you like the dot. The frame mounted one will be better using 38/9mm ammo. Another option will be shooting 40 minor to give you an idea what an open gun will be closer to. I built a Glock 34 with a slide mounted optic and it got me hooked on open shooting minor. Kinda like carry optics is trying to be now :devil: Thanks, Eric

ordered a FastFire 3 and a bomar mount so I should have everything together by saturday then I can mount it, sight it in and give it a whirl. Gonna enjoy having 26-27 rounds to start. Thursday night practice i shoot usually has a max of 24 shots on a stage. It will be fun to have enough in the gun to try and not have a reload.

I will give my impressions once i try it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out today to sight in the Dot on the slide ride. OMG what a difference it makes when you can actually see what your shooting at and then super impose dot onto it and hit it.

The down side is now that i know what i have been missing partly i have to spend the cash to get a proper open gun. but am very excited about it as i love to shoot but battling eye sight problems with steel sights was killing my love of shooting. Now the love is back big time. 200 rounds today and I'm about to put the 650 to work as i need lots more rounds for tomorrow nights practice match.

post-36521-0-64350900-1442433967_thumb.j

Edited by clawson2011