Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken thumb safety

Aric

I had the exact same thing happen this last Sunday at a match. And of course I am shooting area 4 in 3 days so it has been a mad scramble to find one and fit it before the match. Lesson learned I will now have an extra fitted safety in my range bag.

I broke a Phoenix Trinity safety a few months ago on my Limited pistol. Had about 25,000 rounds through the gun and during a match it broke where the two pieces come together. I am attributing it to normal wear and tear. It happens when you use a mechanical device often.

And like all things in my life, it happened 5 days before Area 1. So instead of shooting my Akai custom, I shot my buddies backup gun - a stock STI. Still did decent but wished I had my own gun.

This winter, I will have a backup fitted, so I don't have this issue again.

Edited by cactusbrew

That's not super encouraging given the PT safety is a $150 part! I wonder if something like this ed brown design which uses the hammer pin as part of the safety is a stronger design? http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=B893-M&n=Ed-Brown-Machined-Wide-Ambi-Safety--Stainless

I've had the Kimber version of this (MIM) on a gun since 2002, over 20,000 rounds (that's a very rough estimate, I don't log rounds in my guns) and not a single issue. I shoot left handed with my thumb riding the right side lever, so it is experiences is share of stress.

The "secret" is that when being used, the joint is not stressed, the safety is riding on the pin. If it or the other three I have on other guns ever breaks, I'll be replacing them with the same Kimber brand MIM part, $150.00 is a ridiculous price for this part (IMHO).

I've fit my new EGW safety and love it! They have a sleeve that fits over where the two halts slide together.

Seems very solid.

I've seen that. It may actually be what makes the EGW part worth more than the others. The joint is the weak link when one uses the right side lever. If mine ever break, they'll most likely be replaced by an EGW version.

• 4 weeks later...

I broke a Phoenix Trinity safety a few months ago on my Limited pistol. Had about 25,000 rounds through the gun and during a match it broke where the two pieces come together. I am attributing it to normal wear and tear. It happens when you use a mechanical device often.

And like all things in my life, it happened 5 days before Area 1. So instead of shooting my Akai custom, I shot my buddies backup gun - a stock STI. Still did decent but wished I had my own gun.

Are pt ambi safeties MIM or cast?

Are pt ambi safeties MIM or cast?

Neither. They are machihed from billet/barstock. Much better than cast or mim.

Hello: I like the single sided safeties from Ed Brown. I am right handed so that helps. I usually fit a single sided safety and put the original in the spare parts box. It also allows me to hold the gun higher up. Yes, I have broken a couple ambi safeties at the tang. Thanks, Eric