USPSA Area 8: CZ Custom SP-01 failed Box Test

sudoshakes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I notice he never mentioned what rear sight he is running. I have heard of others CZs not passing the box test. The HAJO hight adjustable sight doesn't use the same cut as the Target SP01 and looks to sit very tall on the gun. My guess is that he is running a HAJO. I haven't measured one but it might pass if you compress the sight or adjust it to its lowest point but maybe it's time to get some new sights or some 17 round magazines.

http://czcustom.com/czshadowcomprearhajo.aspx

The new Target 2s look pretty tall too so I would proceed with caution there.

On another thread the RM chimed in that it was the metal EGW box that was in use which is the the official USPSA box as far as I know.

Edited by alma

As snarky as it was, the comment about using a construction tape to show an accurate measurement is quite funny. There is a built in movement of the end of the tape measure so that you get the same inside and outside readings depending on where you have the hook, but they aren't always accurate and do wear. Someone should really have a something more precise. Still, the box appears well over 6".

What I do not understand is why there even needs to be a box at all? Does it fit in the holster? If it does then use the darn thing. Things that are big and bulky are harder to handle, harder to maneuver with, and generally just harder to work with. The natural process takes care of itself. At some point something is just too big to be used as fast as the user needs.

Andrewtac - you are using a tape which is made to be measured from the inside of the gripping tang. I am only guessing you are using the outside of the tang on the inside of the box. Yes, it seems to measure 6 3/32". But if you add the thickness of the tang, you will probably get the other 1/32" giving you the 6 1/16" measurement.

I am the guy that was running chrono on Friday at the Area 8 match. This was the only gun that failed to fit in the box. I do believe that if the gun had adjustable sights on it I would have been able to compress them and get it into the box. This was done for a couple of CZs and 1911s.

We only used 1 box for the match it was the official metal box bought from USPSA.

I am pretty sure it was the fixed as I spoke with the guy on chrono and he said had he had adjustable sights he would have been able to compress them to fit in the box.

Maybe this one? http://czcustom.com/CZ-Competition-Rear-Sight-1.aspx

That looks very tall too.

That's what I run and have had no issues. As posted earlier, mine sounds to be quite a bit lower than the OP. He was getting around 0.352" above the slide whereas mine is only 0.265" (though it can be tricky to measure that dimension alone, so numbers might be a bit off).

• 3 months later...

This is one reason I switched to the nickel plated mags with the thin basepad. There is never an issue of box fitment. I'm sorry your tolerances were off. I just measured one of my Shadows and its rear sight measured 0.370" in height total.

Rowdy. Noob question here. What plated mags exactly are you using/referencing?

Not that this will help with your problem.... The only time I had a problem with a box the issue was a box not made to spec. My SP01 fit but left gouge marks tin the top from the sights. A well know CZ shooter (who shall remain anonymous) literally pounded his pistol into the box using his fist(s). That box was retired and replaced with a to spec box and I've never had a problem since. Shooting a CZ 75 SP01 with fixed sights. Rear is a competition sight and the front sight height is appropriate for 124/125 gr 9mm bullets. Mags were stock SP01, 18 round mags.

Seems to me there should be a procedure to verify box meets USPSA rule requirements. And, the procedure should be one in which competitors can see. Not just done and some says it is okay. Just because it is an "official USPSA box" does not mean the box was manufactured correctly.

I don't see the need for a box for production.

You have an approved list of guns.

You have a list of approved mods.

Capacity is restricted to 10 rounds so making mag and gun fit in a box is moot.

Guess what. Ipsc internationally doesn't require production guns to go in the box. As long as the gun is on the list, and no un-approved mods are done it's good to go. They have capacity limit too but it's 15 for production.

They use the box for standard division (similar to limited).

I don't see the need for a box for production.

You have an approved list of guns.

You have a list of approved mods.

Capacity is restricted to 10 rounds so making mag and gun fit in a box is moot.

Guess what. Ipsc internationally doesn't require production guns to go in the box. As long as the gun is on the list, and no un-approved mods are done it's good to go. They have capacity limit too but it's 15 for production.

They use the box for standard division (similar to limited).

I had a similar thought last night. There really is no point of a box with a production list. I was going to suggest a production magazine gauge, but there really is no point there either. As long as they're weight a gun and magazine everyone should be satisfied.

Just saw this thread and glad I did. I am registered for Area 6 and I'm going to shoot Production for the first time and I didn't know there was even a box, since I'm used to IPSC rules. Currently I have Tanfoglio mags and those gigantic stick-on rubber base pads, which clearly will not fit the box. Any recommendations on best base pads to get?

I'm going to get a couple more mags too, probably Mec Gar but I'm assuming they will accept the same pads.