Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 40 in Limited?

rack&roll

I have a beautifully set up M&P 40 for limited division...all the bells & whistles, 19 reloadable and I like it a lot. (I know I could make it 20 reloadable if I really tweaked it) I was wondering if anyone else is using an M&P in limited or even limited 10?

Also wondering why I see very few top shooters (except Julie) using M&P's in ANY division these days...are they losing popularity? Thanks for any feedback!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot an M&P 40 CORE 5" in limited with SSS Limited Magwell and TTI +5 base pads (20 reloadable), Apex FF FSS and Hogue Hybrid M&P Grip and love it.

I was previously using my M&P Pro 9 5" (setup similar) for IDPA ESP and USPSA Limited Minor and just recently upgraded to the 40 CORE for Limited Major.

I use a M&P 9L and shoot Limited Minor. Apex competition kit with Apex trigger,stainless uncaptured guide rod with 13lb ISMI spring Dawson precision fiber optic front and adjustable rear, hogue hybrid grip, ludus extended mag release, speed Shooters Magwell, Taran Tactical Basepads can reload 22 rds. Using freedom Munitions 115gr HP. Absolutely love it. I think people underestimate the potential of it.

I shoot a 40 PRO in limited also. Got all of the Apex innards, the Limited SSS magwell, Race Master holster and mag holders. What base pads are you using? With the TTI pads I get 20 reloadable in the mag. There a few in my club that use modified M&Ps with great success.

I'm not really asking what mods people are doing to their guns, my questions are: why I don't see more top shooters using them in USPSA limited division?... and who is using them? I also noticed almost no top shooters were using M&P 9's in 2015 production Nationals this year.

I shoot limited with my Smith & Wesson.

M&P40 5" CORE

Dawson sights-red fiber front/blacked out back

Apex flat faced trigger with internals

SSS tungsten guide rod

#17 lb. recoil spring

SSS limited brass magwell

LF Arms extended mag release

Talon sand paper grips

Taran +5 base pads

Waiting on the barrel to wear and I'll grab a kkm.

There were multiple m&p's in the top 16 at production nationals last year. This year everyone wants unicorns and accu's so more people using them puts more of them at the top. I think one reason you don't see as many in limited is because most people think limited and immediately think they need an S_I to be competitive. Personally I'm surprised the XDm's and CZ TS platforms aren't more popular in limited. They are the easiest platforms to get a reliable 21+1 with.

I also think that people who shoot multiple divisions standardize their platform across one type. So, if you shoot a glock in production, shoot one in limited too. And let's face it, even though the m&p's have been taking some market share from Glock, glocks are still more popular and more widely supported in the aftermarket.

I guess what I'm getting at is I've wondered the same thing about why platform "X" isn't more popular and I don't think it can be answered. Most people follow the trends

There were multiple m&p's in the top 16 at production nationals last year. This year everyone wants unicorns and accu's so more people using them puts more of them at the top. I think one reason you don't see as many in limited is because most people think limited and immediately think they need an S_I to be competitive. Personally I'm surprised the XDm's and CZ TS platforms aren't more popular in limited. They are the easiest platforms to get a reliable 21+1 with.

I also think that people who shoot multiple divisions standardize their platform across one type. So, if you shoot a glock in production, shoot one in limited too. And let's face it, even though the m&p's have been taking some market share from Glock, glocks are still more popular and more widely supported in the aftermarket.

I guess what I'm getting at is I've wondered the same thing about why platform "X" isn't more popular and I don't think it can be answered. Most people follow the trends

You are so right IMO. Thanks for the well thought-out reply.

If you're talking about Limited, at the highest levels, the shortcomings of the plastic guns add up enough. While it's largely true that a M or a GM with an STI can still shoot M/GM with a plastic gun, the felt recoil, mechanical accuracy, trigger quality, cycle time, and all of that can hold you back. It's not much, of course, but if you're wondering about the top X at Nationals, it's enough that they're looking for an edge (no pun intended) that may be worth a place value or two across several stages. Once _everyone_ starts looking for that edge, you have your answer.

If you're talking about Limited, at the highest levels, the shortcomings of the plastic guns add up enough. While it's largely true that a M or a GM with an STI can still shoot M/GM with a plastic gun, the felt recoil, mechanical accuracy, trigger quality, cycle time, and all of that can hold you back. It's not much, of course, but if you're wondering about the top X at Nationals, it's enough that they're looking for an edge (no pun intended) that may be worth a place value or two across several stages. Once _everyone_ starts looking for that edge, you have your answer.

This reminded me that Yong Lee made GM with an M&P in limited. Don't quote me on this but I think he's shooting production with a unicorn now?

This reminded me that Yong Lee made GM with an M&P in limited. Don't quote me on this but I think he's shooting production with a unicorn now?

Yeah, but YL is a ninja. :ph34r:

I run 5" M&P Pros in 3-Gun Tactical divisions (9mm) and USPSA Limited division (.40S&W). The 9mm is built lighter (SSS aluminum magwell) vs. the .40 (SSS brass magwell) but otherwise they are identical. Apex FSS, TTI mag extensions etc. My primary game is 3-Gun, so I choose the M&P9 over an S_I platform due to its drop-n-run trigger system. I therefore run the M&P40 for commonality of training, even though I know it is marginally less perfect than the S_I pistol that has been sitting unused in my gunsafe for several years. Photo of the boys:

MampPMatchGuns_zps4c065906.jpg

SB: Nice!

I have very similar setup, except I don't shoot 3-gun. I use my "tricked-out" 9L for production, and my "tricked-out" Pro 40 for limited. In all, I have 5 M&P's (9L, Pro40, Core 9mm, M&P .22 pistol, and M&P 22/15 rifle).... so I guess you can tell I like the platform very well!

I shot the Pro 40 last night at my local club match, and the recoil was punishing! I have become a 9mm wimp. :( I can see now for myself why most shooters eventually choose the S_I platform. I will have to get used to Pro 40 again!

has anyone here tried to attach the SJC Glock frame weight to a M&P? I have heard they make a big difference with recoil management.

SJC has an M&P frame weight on their web site now.

Edited by melissa5

I don't want to have to buy a race holster and pay to have it modified just to have a paperweight on the front. I'll just struggle along with my production holster (that works with all my M&P's) and non-weighted Limited M&P.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...