Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 3 or Gen 4

aandabooks

My son shoots a 34 Gen 3 in comp and yesterday I picked up a 34 Gen 4 in a value trade. Went out and my son shoots them both roughly the same. The Gen 4 doesn't have adjustable sights.

We know there are about 3k rounds through the Gen 3 and unknown through the Gen 4. If I'm going to trade one, which one has the better trade value or is there really not much difference?

My son shoots a 34 Gen 3 in comp and yesterday I picked up a 34 Gen 4 in a value trade. Went out and my son shoots them both roughly the same. The Gen 4 doesn't have adjustable sights.

We know there are about 3k rounds through the Gen 3 and unknown through the Gen 4. If I'm going to trade one, which one has the better trade value or is there really not much difference?

Shooters with smaller hands may prefer the Gen4 due to the interchangeable backstrap system. I prefer the Gen 3 recoil assembly. You can get an adapter to use Gen 3 recoil system with a Gen4

I started phasing out all my Gen 3 Glocks when the first Gen 4 was available and the only Gen 3 Glock I now own is a NIB G17 Anniversary Edition signed by Gaston Glock.

Edited by JBP55

He's never had a slide bite issue. The gun only came with the Med-Large backstraps. My son has decently long fingers for a 14 year old and has no problem gripping the gun. I'll be trading/selling one of them. I can never seem to keep doubles around but having a backup around might be a good idea. We've just never had any issues.

You can take off the medium back strap and go with none (what I do for my small hands), but you should swap the ejector housing pin for the shorter one that comes with the whole back strap kit. You should have two ejector housing pins with the back straps, a longer one for use with the medium or large back straps and a shorter ejector housing pin for running it with no back strap. The longer one will stick out of the grip too far with no back strap on the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a woman with smaller hands than I guess what you could call the average man's sized hands (I'm still taller than average), the Gen4 is helpful with the backstraps. The Gen3 felt too large.

I'm also left handed. You can't swap the mag release side on the Gen3, only Gen4. Keep in mind if you run a left hand swapped Gen4, Gen3 mags don't work right since apparently I've been told they only have the notch on the right side (i.e. wrong side :P ) of the magazine itself (I almost made this mistake and bought an older mag!)

Edited by hceuterpe

• 4 weeks later...

I sold my Gen 3 models and change over to the Gen 4 models. When I ran the Gen 3 models I needed to use grip tape of some kind and I had a problem with coming off during matches. I went with the Gen 4 because I like the grip and do not need to use any grip tape.