Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

De-lube media life

My de-lube media doesn't seem to last very long before it stops working - does anyone else have the same problem? How long does your de-lube media last? Description of my process follows...

I use home-brew lanolin + alcohol lube (1:10 ratio) for .308 in my 1050, then de-lube 500 at a time in a CV-2001 in fine walnut (25/50 grit) treated with polish.

I've found that the de-lube media becomes ineffective fairly quickly, perhaps after 3,000 to 5,000 rounds, whereas cleaning media is still good after 20,000 (the media is identical, just kept separate for the different processes). With both types of media I typically add a capful of polish every 3 or 4 loads, and intermediate capfuls of mineral spirits as required.

Thanks for any insight!

Edited by roxfo

Use the Dillon lube. Most everybody swears by it.

Dillon lube is Lanolin and alcohol, so should be practically identical to mine. Do you remove Dillon lube with walnut media and get longer media life than I'm finding?

Thanks!

Basically you are just putting oil on walnut hull. It softens it up and then it doesn't remove the corrosion on the cases as easily.

Thanks. I'm not trying to remove corrosion, though. As I mentioned, my de-lube media is used exclusively for de-lubing (the cases are fully cleaned using separate cleaning media before lubing and case-prep). It just seems to cease effectively removing lube pretty quickly (after 3000 to 5000 cases).

What I'm really trying to find out is how long do other folks find their de-lube media lasts, particularly those who use Dillon/lanolin lube).

I've been having good success using very fine untreated corn cob for a short tumble time on pistol rounds. Maybe 15-20 minutes is all that's necessary. Been using for 5k so far and still doing fine.

Edited by Jmo2011

I clean the lube on loaded rounds with corn cob media. If it's just preped brass, I wash it using Simple Green, then rinse and dry it in the oven at 250* for 30 to 45 minutes. I usually leave it setting in a room close to a dehumidifier for a couple of days before loading.

I use corn cob to remove the case lube. I tried walnut and it lost its performance quickly. I ran into a guy a while back that actually washes his corn cob in a bucket. He used warm soapy water and then strained it and put it out on tarps to dry in the back yard. He was kind of cheap though.