Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS stovepipes.

TonytheTiger

Had two stovepipes at a match yesterday, looking for help with a diagnosis. Pistol is a 9mm TS, 10lb recoil spring, CZC basepads, extra power mag springs, stock followers, polished internals and barrel/feedramp, and a few other misc. small parts/springs replaced all in the last 3-4k rounds. Its got around 10k rounds through it now, all factory ammo since I bought it, mostly Fiocchi 115gr. Practiced Saturday before the match, no issues but I've been noticing lately my brass has gone from a consistent pile 7-9' away to having a few right next to my shooting position. Went through my match-eve ritual of cleaning mags, wiping all the gunk out of the gun, visual inspection of the important parts and then dumping a quart of Mobil 1 in the gun. The first malfunction was about ten rounds into the first stage and the second was about 40 rounds later. Watching my match vids in slow motion I can see that some of the brass (20-30%?) is just dribbling out of the gun. I searched on here and see that an extractor replacement seems to be on a 20k round schedule for most. My extractor looks fine but slightly rounded at the tip of the hook, spring appears fine and the groove is always kept reasonably clean. My first instinct is to throw parts at it and hope for the best but I thought I'd ask on here first. Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Fiocchi 115gr 1200 fps 9mm? If so you are close to 138 PF, and snappy with the 115, vs a lot of the 'gamers' with much lighter feeling 147gr and 130pf. So comparing to others for 20k rounds spring replacement might not be apples to apples. Your going to need 'em anyone, why not get fresh recoil and extractor springs to see? The 10lb recoil spring might be too light with that ammo also if you have a heavier one to try, just a thought.

Oops my bad guys, my phone auto corrected my Freedom 115gr to Fiocchi 115gr because I had just texted someone about it a minute before I posted this. Stupid technology. Anyways, I don't know what PF Freedom stuff is, I plan on getting a new extractor and spring ordered today. I also noticed last night that my sear cage only has one of the little springs sticking out the back although I'm sure there was two there a couple weeks ago. What do the little springs do exactly?

Well the only thing I can think of is that you appear to be over oiling the gun.

I doubt you literally used a quart of oil but the TS is not a crappy 1911. It does not need that much oil for proper lubrication. I do not use any oil on my magazines.

Edited by himurax13

Yeah I was kidding when I said a quart of oil.... I run my guns wet enough that all the moving parts have a good film of oil but not wet enough that it ever seeps out or drips, and I certainly don't ever let oil get on the mags, one of the ranges I shoot at has sand bays and any oil on the mags stops the show right now.

Shot 50 rounds tonight, same ammo, no ejection problems while shooting normally or while intentionally limp wristing or with the gun sideways and upside down. Ejection was distance was still a little erratic. Then the trigger locked up like a nuns bedroom. No reset, I could pull it all the way back and nothing would happen. Walked over to my berm and proceeded to curse while pulling the trigger, eventually it got really gritty and started firing most of the time I pulled the trigger. To the Bat Cave! Pulled it apart and found a bunch of tiny limestone chunks behind and around the trigger bar. Its been on my bench since the Sunday match so I have to assume the grit was in there possibly wreaking havoc at the match. Cleaned it all out reassembled and shot 20 more rounds trouble free with the brass all landing 8-9' away. I'm not sure I solved the stovepipe issue but the rocks in my gun couldn't possibly have been helping. I'll probably still throw a new extractor and extractor spring in just to help me sleep better.

Well Freedom Munitions is reported to have quality control issues. someone even posted on the Freedom Munitions website that they were having 30%-40-% stove pipe issues with their ammo.

That's nice to hear. Santa can't bring me a blue press fast enough. The more I shoot the more control I think I need over every aspect.