Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why did you start reloading?

kneelingatlas

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Availability.

My LGS only stocked FMJ which most ranges here will not let you shoot.

(Copper washed or coated lead is fine).

Now all I have to worry about is availability of components :)

I think I liked the idea of having a bullet factory in my shop...

So a couple thousand dollars later,I produced my very first 38 special wad cutter..and it went bang..

I have always liked the idea that I buy bulk reloading items whenever I do a side job. I always have components on hand, and can crank out a batch at a moments notice. That was my desire, and that's where I'm at. Another reason is that I can rarely buy in large quantities, what I can reload. I don't go to gun shows all that often, so I like to just have the ability on hand.

I got into it during the ammo shortage a few years back and, truth be told, because I like to tinker with stuff, trying to improve it, etc. Not sure I ever improved anything but I sure learn a lot in the process. I told SWMBO that it was to save money on ammo and I can make it for less than half what I can buy it for. The kicker is that I shoot much more than I would otherwise so any savings have never shown up. Not told her that, though. :-)) But it is enjoyable and a great hobby - like I need another hobby!

It was not to save money, but so that I could shoot more and tailor my own loads. If someone told me they would give me 10K rounds of ammo or enough components to make 10K rounds, I would take the components...at least for rifle and pistol. For SG, I'd take the ammo. :)

CPD, not CDP, Caps per Dollar, more rounds per $$$ equals more shooting....

Wife "How much did you spend on re-loading last year" Answer, Enough.

It's the same question as "Are you shooting this weekend?" eventually goes to "Where are you shooting this weekend, and are you shooting Sunday also?" Answer, Yes.

Had planned on reloading, and had started to save brass a year before Sandy Hook happened. Having just started shooting IDPA a year earlier I found myself in an awkward position of not being able to find ammo in bulk. Ordered a 550b, and waited several months as they were on backorder.... then searched high and low for components which dried up not to long after ammo evaporated.

I have no regrets, as the ammo I produce is tailored to my weapon/shooting style, and during the SH shortage it saved me a ton of money. While supplies seem somewhat stable now, I've massed a fair amount of components and should be able to ride out any future supply hiccups.

~g

Yeah I got into it during the ammo shortage. Got sick of always stopping by Walmart, LGS, ect. hoping to score a few boxes of ammo. Haha now I only stop by the LGS hoping to score a few pounds of powder. That and mostly i liked the fact I could have components on hand to make whatever I needed. It allows me to have a greater potential stockpile for the money invested. That and I have discovered that reloading components have an almost unlimited trading potential.

Actually - yea, I did it to save money. And for a little while, I did. Used bullet casting equipment from a garage sale, lee single stage press.

I think I started with an almost immediate return on investment.

And... it's gone. :)

Well, not really - but it isn't what it was.

Bought my first couple guns and realized just how expensive the ammo for them was. $25 a box for .45ACP at the store and I could load my own for $12or less a box. (that includes buying brass!) The $550 I spent on the 650 was a chunk of change, but at a savings of at least $10 on every 50 rounds I make, the press pays for itself fairly quick. I also like the idea of being able to produce my own ammo while everyone else was making stops at the gun shop every day hoping to get some at an affordable cost. I also liked the idea that I could change the charge and bullet weight and shape to suit my needs. There are so many different shapes and weights and colors available now that it should be easy enough to find something I really like. The added bonus was that if I needed to sell, I could recoup a good amount of the money I spent on the press and accessories.

Definitely to be able to shoot a lot more for the same money, and also availability. My guns and club membership dues cost the same whether I shoot none or lots, but what's the point of owning anything you don't use a lot? I wanted to get good at it and have matches as a means to socialize, and the ammo bill for that is prohibitive unless I reload.

I started in the early 1980's and after traveling the world thanx to your tax dollars and then working for a living kinda got put to the side. Now that I'm and not really hitting the parties anymore, I figured it would be good to start up again for my last hobbie. Not to mention my wife (#2) enjoys shooting too and we go thru lots of ammo.

I have to admit, that's what I told myself when I started. Now I will laugh along with the picture :)

This ^^^^^

And I started back in the late 70s.

Bob

Edited by BobT

When I got started, it was with dad's equipment under his supervision. It was a hobby and a way to have the best quality ammo for our rifles. Dad is a hunter mainly, whereas I took an interest in competitive shooting. From there I made the plunge on my own equipment to have ammo at will, and so I could get more bang for my buck. Now a days I have the progressive for handgun and single stage for my wildcat rifle calibers, so I'd say part of why I reload is because they don't sell the calibers I shoot at the stores.

I forget where I heard it, but someone put it this way:

"Would you rather have store bought Chips Ahoy, or grandma's homemade chocolate chip cookies?..."

Started in 1979 with a Lee Loader (yeah, the little cylinder kit of tools that you whacked with a plastic or rubber mallet, to make ammo one round at a time) in .357 to feed a Ruger Blackhawk because in college I had more spare time than spare dollars.....things progressed predictably from there over the next 35 years......