Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Falling Steel Question

aandabooks

Had a match today and on a stage we had falling steel. It was a 12" plate sitting on top of a stand. Not hinged or in anyway attached to the stand.

Guy on the squad is shooting and clips the plate and causes it to turn 90 degrees so the edge is facing him. Shooter stops shooting after he goes back to shoot it again but RO does not call for a stop. Shooter says that the plate is sideways and the MD who was waiting in the next squad comes over and issues a reshoot based on range equipment failure. I had not seen a steel plate do that so I was unsure of the call.

My inclination would have been to keep shooting as winning a calibration on that would be highly unlikely. So, correct call for the reshoot or not?

Edited by aandabooks

Was this a USPSA match? Mandatory reshoot.

4.3.1.6 Unlike Poppers, metal plates are not subject to calibration or calibration challenges. If a scoring metal plate has been hit but fails to fall or overturn, the Range Officer shall declare range equipment failure and order the competitor to reshoot the course of fire, after the faulty plate has been rectified.

Or was it under 3GN rules? Scored as hit but no reshoot.

Under Rule 9.1.9.2 ........j) If a designated steel Knock Down style plate is determined to have been struck and turned sideways or is no longer presenting the face of the target to the competitor at the original location of engagement and does not fall, the competitor will get score/credit for the Knock Down plate in question with no penalty assessed. 9.1.9.3 All metal scoring targets shall be painted before each squad regardless of weather conditions.

Not at our match(not possible to spin ours any more) "steel must fall to score" not a REF, it's a poor shot by the shooter.

Thats because your steel is hinged.

(I base this on the steel you sell at your webstore. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Good equipment cuts down on REF calls.

• 2 weeks later...

yep, in USPSA or IPSC rules if the plate turns side on it's REF and re-shoot.

it's easily defeated by adding a little lip at the front of the stand. that way if plate is hit and starts to turn it'll fall off anyway. unfortunately plenty of people stuff have plate stands with just a flat base and a plate can spin 90 degrees on them. doesn't happen often that I've seen but REF/Re-shoot is the right call.

Not at our match(not possible to spin ours any more) "steel must fall to score" not a REF, it's a poor shot by the shooter.

(I base this on the steel you sell at your webstore. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Yes, that is correct.

Also speeds up the reset by a large margin.

been making a few extras in what little spare time we have :)

nRP0A84l.jpg

But they are still plates and not poppers so if they are hit they must fall even if an edge hit. The only poor shot that would matter would be a clean miss.

I have a few hinged ones but much prefer basic plates with a trip edge.

But I must say, those are some seriously heavy duty plates!

Edited by Sarge

Yes, that is correct.

Also speeds up the reset by a large margin.

been making a few extras in what little spare time we have :)

nRP0A84l.jpg

Where do you hammer them to put them in the ground...on the hinge?

The way I do it is,

Hold the plate flat with one hand.

hammer on the face of the plate directly over the rod, it helps tremendously if you put a little down pressure on the spade with your foot.

You will want to wear gloves, there will be some viberation transmitted to your hand - also if your not very accurate with a hammer, this method may not be for you. I designed them specifically for this method to work - all the force is transmitted directly to the rod.

There is a lug welded on the back of the rod for a hammer point, just above the spade. If you look close you can see it in that pic.

Sarge,

We only shoot outlaw 3Gun,

rules simply state, plate must fall to score. If calibration is called for, It's just like a popper. MD shoots it - scored accordingly.

They will fall with a direct hit on the bottom, even in a corner, a glancing hit may or may not.

The biggest problems we've had are guys choking up too tight thinking they won't fall, and hammering the crap out of them at 10 yds.

They will fall 100% with a - 18" barrel, Cyl,1145 fps, 7.5 shot, at 25yds, 30yds is risky, 35 yds maybe 2/5 shots.

Of course that is with the rod straight up, angled one way or the other will change that.

In our soil type we had ~230 shooters shoot them they were still tight.

This vid was taken after ~197 shooters at our big match last year, we were double checking them before or monthly match a few weeks later.

Even a 2 year old can reset :ph34r:

Edited by toothandnail

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a match today and on a stage we had falling steel. It was a 12" plate sitting on top of a stand. Not hinged or in anyway attached to the stand.

Guy on the squad is shooting and clips the plate and causes it to turn 90 degrees so the edge is facing him. Shooter stops shooting after he goes back to shoot it again but RO does not call for a stop. Shooter says that the plate is sideways and the MD who was waiting in the next squad comes over and issues a reshoot based on range equipment failure. I had not seen a steel plate do that so I was unsure of the call.

My inclination would have been to keep shooting as winning a calibration on that would be highly unlikely. So, correct call for the reshoot or not?

Stage malfunction, R.O. should have stopped him.