Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for any MD that as run a level II match

Nimitz

• 1 month later...

The MD Should be able to shoot with the staff or potentially shoot through during the match. Better for him if he goes with the staff, but either way the MD Should be able to shoot. Now, the RM, that is a different story. He should ONLY shoot on staff days, he is needed on regular match days.

Remember, the MD gets the match to starting beep, the RM then takes over until the last shot. Then the MD gets back into the saddle for awards and such.

In my experience MDs at level II matches shoot with the staff on the first day of the match. When I ran the Colorado State match this year the RM and I both shot on the first day of the match. There was a crap ton of prework that went into getting everything ready to go before first shots were fired but after a few stages issues were worked out early in the morning it was just a really long day of shooting after a really long day of setup followed by two really long days of MD stuff. The thought that the MD doesn't do anything during the main match and it is all on the RM after the first shot is almost laughable. There is always stuff that needs done.

Having shot as staff, my observation is they did some running around as we found problems but having a RM as well as several experienced CRO'S on other,squads helped. They were able to make adjustments to the stages that had not been shot yet and just needed to call the Match RM to let him know what changes were made in terms of target presentation, start position, or WSB wording. The biggest change for the MD was adjusting the starting squads/stages to allow better flow due to slow stages vs fast stages.

Edited by Poppa Bear

In my experience MDs at level II matches shoot with the staff on the first day of the match. When I ran the Colorado State match this year the RM and I both shot on the first day of the match. There was a crap ton of prework that went into getting everything ready to go before first shots were fired but after a few stages issues were worked out early in the morning it was just a really long day of shooting after a really long day of setup followed by two really long days of MD stuff. The thought that the MD doesn't do anything during the main match and it is all on the RM after the first shot is almost laughable. There is always stuff that needs done.

Mark, I agree 100% with the last. The MD's job really doesn't end, as he is the guy that has to handle all the non-actual-shooting stuff so the RM can deal with those issues.