Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2... 24" or 26"?

johnson184

??? I haven't seen that to be the case. At least in the Benelli line. You might have to tune for POI/POA but many a 28" gun will easily do head shots at 50 yards. This isn't a broad brush statement, it is a wide roller.

??? I haven't seen that to be the case. At least in the Benelli line. You might have to tune for POI/POA but many a 28" gun will easily do head shots at 50 yards. This isn't a broad brush statement, it is a wide roller.

Without a doubt Kurt. Same M2 receiver, same ammo, in a rest, just a barrel swap. 18", 21", 24", 26" and 28". The longer the barrel, the more open the group with a pretty significant change between 24 and 26" especially with low recoil loads. With 1 ounce slugs at 1500+, the difference is small. With 1150 fps 1 ounce slugs at 50 yards, the groups with 26" are almost twice that of the 21" barrel.

With the Stoegers, less pronounced,

Well, I would recommend you retry your experiment NOT IN A REST. The internal ballistics do change over the course of barrel length, but I would tell you right now your seeing the outside influence of the rest, NOT the barrel! You can brace it over sandbags, but you still need to hold it like you normally would, I.E. hand on fore end, shouldered the same as you would shooting off hand!

And is this a test sample size of 1? Of the 7 open Benelli I have built around the 28" ported and non ported barrels all would easily hold a 4" group at 50, 2 of them exhibited one large hole group in the 2" range. Your 8th may be the statistical anomaly.

Sure Kurt, I probably don't know how to set-up and run a scientifically valid test. I'll just go back to doing testing for people who pay me lots of money to do tests and stop helping shooters with tests I know to be accurate, which I do on my own dime. :roflol:

Well played sir, well played. I'll just go back to playing with rocks, and rocket fuel. I do think however that you have caused a market drop in longer barrel prices, which can only help those that find them more useful than thought. ;)

While these two, who know a metric shit ton more about benelli's and shooting than I do flick each other, I would decide what tube length you want to run and let that at least inform your decision. I went with a 24" barrel and a 10 round RCI tube and after my first match put a +2 extension on it so I can drop a quadload (if you have seen me load, it is as likely dropped on the ground as in the gun. So know the tube sticks out about 8" beyond the end of the barrel. Other than a small weight savings I could have just gone with the 26 or 28".

Awesome, thank you! My Beretta 1301 has been really good to me so thinking about picking up an M2 to have it all TTI'ed out, just to have another good shotgun.

Good plan, I have an M1 and an M2 worked over by TTI. They are both great shooters, and look pretty awesome to boot.

I personally prefer the 26" barrel.

Just like the swing and balance better than the shorter barrels I've tried (tried them all)

both of my M2s have had no issues with slug accuracy or group sizes.

Edited by sarpau

Well darn, I was all set to get a 28" with a 3 + 9 extension, but now I'm not sure. I gave Taran Tactical a call today, and they recommended I send them a 24" M2 with a maximum of 10 shotshell capacity being needed. I forgot to ask them why that barrel length though. :(

Any chance someone has pictures of their M2 with magazine tube extensions? Trying to gauge how much longer a 10 shot or 12 shot magazine tube is compared to a 24", 26", or 28" barrel.

A Nordic +6 tube (9 total) is even with the end of the barrel on a 24" M2. The +7 tube (10 total) is even with the end of a 26" M2 barrel.

Any chance someone has pictures of their M2 with magazine tube extensions? Trying to gauge how much longer a 10 shot or 12 shot magazine tube is compared to a 24", 26", or 28" barrel.

A Nordic +6 tube (9 total) is even with the end of the barrel on a 24" M2. The +7 tube (10 total) is even with the end of a 26" M2 barrel.

Awesome, really appreciate that info.

Just curious... what length tube is everyone running for 3 gun in your area? Seeing quite a bunch of 12 shell tubes lately.

Just curious... what length tube is everyone running for 3 gun in your area? Seeing quite a bunch of 12 shell tubes lately.

I run a 14 round tube in 3-gun. I'll be using a 12 at the World Shotgun Shoot in Italy next month because of tighter walls and ports. 12 is the norm here, I'm in central Texas.

I run a 14 round tube in 3-gun. I'll be using a 12 at the World Shotgun Shoot in Italy next month because of tighter walls and ports. 12 is the norm here, I'm in central Texas.

Thanks for the info! What barrel length are you running?

Of course the mag tube length does not have to match the barre length, but to give you a visual here's this:

M2barrelexp_zpsdd500f88.jpg

Thanks for the info! What barrel length are you running?

26" on my main gun, my backup has 21" barrel and 12 round tube.

Here's my 28" M1 with a Nordic +9 (12 rounds):

IMG_8914.jpg

24" or shorter. As the barrel gets longer, slug accuracy decreases.

You guys both know a hell of a lot more about shooting than I do, but I live in a shotgun restricted deer hunting state. I have been shooting slugs through my guns chasing accuracy for the better part of 30 years. I shoot a rifled barrel setup with a 6x scope and can get an 8" at 200 yards. 2" at fifty is disappointing. What I learned is that the slugs walk predictably as the barrel heats up and distorts. I allow as much time as possible between slug shots so that the barrel cools. I have been able to heat it up and track them and even track them back to closer to the cold shot, allowing several minutes between to cool down. It's annoying as hell. Anyhow, point is that it's the coefficient of thermal expansion causing uneven heating of the steel and moving the POI. Its still applicable to your vent rib barrels. The longer the barrel, the more the uneven thermal expansion will move your poi. If it distorts by a % of the length, which barrel will have a greater linear distortion and therefore a greater radial distortion from cold zero?