Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2... 24" or 26"?

johnson184

Benelli, stress relieved cryo treated bored barrel, not extruded....hmmmm!

Good point Kurt. Let me preface this in saying, I am not arguing, just discussing in a friendly and constructive manner. I had thought of the cryo process and forgot to mention it. I just really doubt that the cryo processing seriously alters the coefficient of thermal expansion, but I want to believe it. That's beyond my knowledge, but I think that the "stress relief" is intended to prevent failure of the steel due to internal molecular stress concentrations created during manufacturing and it should also increase wear resistance of the steel. So that would mean you are less likely to see cracking of the steel under use or well, wear on the barrel obviously. I am a Benelli fan, as I have an M2 and an M4.

Benelli, stress relieved cryo treated bored barrel, not extruded....hmmmm!

Unless you took a different materials course than I did, that treatment won't prevent thermal expansion. The vent rib magnifies the problem too.

Unless you took a different Thermo Dynamics class than I did, the thermal expansion of the barrel is negligible until you have about a pound of slugs down the bore. Still not buying it, experience says that longer barrels aren't any less accurate than short barrels. Theory says bees can't fly, practical application says they can!

I dunno if the expansion is the biggest issue though. My thinking is that when the barrel gets hot enough to sizzle the meat on my hands things start to shift around in the rather loose arrangement of parts that make up a shotgun. I'm guessing that pressures applied by receivers, mag tubes, clamps, etc all start to move stuff around, but what do I know.

I wonder if there was a way to test this like maybe shoot some groups or something, but I can't help but think that all those heavy bench guns designed to shoot tinny groups with their free floated heavy barrels still see enough drift that they limit their rate of fire when shooting groups.

On the other hand it is not as if we are shooting at MOA sized targets with slugs either.

• 2 months later...

I usually use a 21", but that doesn't make my 28" open gun any less acurrate because I shoot a 21" barrel. Best group I have shot to date is a 3" 5 shot group at 100 yards with Remington managed recoil slugs out a of a light modified 28" Benelli M1. My 21" usually does 4-5" groups, might be the difference between a fiber front sight and flip up rear and a solidly mounted red dot.

• 2 weeks later...

Kurt and Mark, I set up a test and built a vice using toilet paper rolls, styrofoam and duct tape and found that there was a ton of difference b/w the 24" and 26" and that the POI moved around on every shot...... I am thinking that it might be barrel deformation due to heat. Thoughts?

Kurt and Mark, I set up a test and built a vice using toilet paper rolls, styrofoam and duct tape and found that there was a ton of difference b/w the 24" and 26" and that the POI moved around on every shot...... I am thinking that it might be barrel deformation due to heat. Thoughts?

Hahahhahahaha

Cause 21" is "tactical". Anything longer is for shooting ducks (or rabbits). Where is my red and black hat? You guys can argue about slugs and longer barrels till Mark runs out of breath and Kurt hits the 12th step, I will still love my 24" pasta guns the best.