Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Focus : Serious or Loose

b1gcountry

I started this relatively late in life (at 56, now 57) so for me it's about taking in everything that I can before I ride into the sunset. It's about enjoying my shooting buddies, trying hard without taking myself too seriously, learning from mistakes, letting stupid stuff roll off, being happy for other shooters and myself when we see ourselves improving, enjoying both the visceral and mental dimensions of shooting, and having a great way to be active outdoors.

I tend to try hard for the fun of seeing if I can do better than last time and that's about as serious as I need to be. It's great to have something I'm intentionally working to get better at.

There is definitely the element of competing because I am always trying to beat the guys who shoot just a little better than I do, because beating them is within reach at all times. As in, "If I just pick up a couple more A's or have fewer penalties, I can beat them this time," and that's really often all it takes to beat that guy who beat me last 4 matches or so. And others are looking at me the same way. It's all friendly competition, a very healthy thing.

When I want to really focus, I focus. But it's within a framework of being relaxed and happy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...