Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I Stop The Endless MS "Updates"?

In the last few weeks I have noticed that every time I turn off my computer, microsoft is dumping "updates" into my computer.... some of these took more than 30 minutes to download.

My computer runs fine, I don't want it screwed up and I sure as heck don't want any windows 10 junk stuck in my PC.

Any way to block these downloads I don't want?

Edited by bountyhunter

I'd recommend against disabling them. Many of them are security related and not being up to date will eventually bite you. Try changing your update options to download but let you choose when to install. This allows you to do the install at your leisure without waiting for them to download.

I'd recommend against disabling them. Many of them are security related and not being up to date will eventually bite you.

Bite what?

Speaking of getting bit, with my first PC: on one of the long "updates" it loaded something that killed my PC. It had blue screen lock next day and I ended up having to pay the shop about $150 to unfreeze it. I still have no idea what the hell happened.

Hence my distrust of MS dumping GIGs of software into my machine when it is running perfectly.

Edited by bountyhunter

It's too bad MS doesn't give you a list of the "updates" with a summary and let you select the critical ones and skip the garbage. I have been getting "Loading 14 updates" most times I turn off recently and I know most of it is crap. I really don't like downloading unknown material.

It's too bad MS doesn't give you a list of the "updates" with a summary and let you select the critical ones and skip the garbage. I have been getting "Loading 14 updates" most times I turn off recently and I know most of it is crap. I really don't like downloading unknown material.

they do.. i pick and choose them all the time

• 3 months later...

If you want to get hacked, and have your information leaked out, or be added to a malicious botnet, go right ahead and turn off automatic updating...

They aren't supposed to update every Wednesday en mass. Microsoft has followed a schedule for over 12 years. It's the second Tuesday of every month when they are released, and updates typically are applied itself the following Wednesday through Windows Update. If you get an out of band update that deviates from this schedule, it's because Microsoft has deemed it too critical to wait until the next schedule.

Microsoft has kept such a steady schedule, that a lot of other major software companies have also aligned to it as well.

It's also untrue that MS doesn't publish security bulletins. They do support the OS, afterall. That link is here, and they do a really good job I might add:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/dn602597.aspx

Edited by hceuterpe

If you want to get hacked, and have your information leaked out, or be added to a malicious botnet, go right ahead and turn off automatic updating...

They aren't supposed to update every Wednesday en mass. Microsoft has followed a schedule for over 12 years. It's the second Tuesday of every month when they are released, and updates typically are applied itself the following Wednesday through Windows Update. If you get an out of band update that deviates from this schedule, it's because Microsoft has deemed it too critical to wait until the next schedule.

Microsoft has kept such a steady schedule, that a lot of other major software companies have also aligned to it as well.

It's also untrue that MS doesn't publish security bulletins. They do support the OS, afterall. That link is here, and they do a really good job I might add:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/dn602597.aspx

This is spot on! The exception is Win10, updating can be delayed but not completely turned off. There is a package that is supposed to stop the updating (for administrators to control) but there are mixed results with it so far. Of course you could pull the cable and not worry about any of it :)

Sent from the range

• 1 month later...

In the last few weeks I have noticed that every time I turn off my computer, microsoft is dumping "updates" into my computer.... some of these took more than 30 minutes to download.

My computer runs fine, I don't want it screwed up and I sure as heck don't want any windows 10 junk stuck in my PC.

Any way to block these downloads I don't want?

Do not turn off "updates". MS pushes security updates. Yes they take awhile, better than someone getting your financial data if you use your computer for online banking.