Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding competition seater die 9mm in Dillon 650 & crimp?

I'm thinking of putting together a 2nd Dillon 650 toolhead complete with powder measure for 9mm to load different length bullets. My current 9mm toolhead is setup to load for Glocks at 1.145 OAL. The 2nd 9mm toolhead would be for loading shorter 9mm for CZ's and others. All I need is another 9mm die set and powder funnel to convert over my .40s&w toolhead/powder measure which I'm not using.

But, I came across the Redding competition seater die for 9mm which would allow for faster changing of OAL without the wrench and trial-error of manual adjustment. My question is, if I put this die in my existing 9mm toolhead to adjust my OAL, will I need to adjust the crimp die each time I adjust OAL? I'm currently using the Dillon 650 crimp die. I do have the Lee Factory crimp die, but choose not to use it with my coated Bayou bullets.

I'm trying to get away from too many adjustments (other then powder amount) once I set my dies (OAL, crimp) once I get it set for a particular round.

The micrometer adjustable seating dies really are the way to go if you load multiple bullet profiles or different lengths for different loads.

And as others have said, the crimp setting has nothing to do with the OAL. However, if you are switching bullets then you should make sure they are the same diameter. I wouldn't count on the crimp staying put if you switch between plated, jacketed and lead.