Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another question...This time about Brazos custom guns

lrdchaos

I've been looking very seriously at the STI Limited like I stated in a earlier post. My search has led me to Brazos site and their Custom Pro series limited and the High performance edge. Being that this is my first experience with this level of pistol, Is the Brazo's custom that much better than the Sti DVC Limited? What about the High performance Edge? Does anyone have any experience with either of these pistols?

I don't know about the new DVC but have been shooting a Brazos Open 38 Super PRO SX for about 12 years. Bought it new and can say it is a great pistol. Never had any issues with the gun and it runs every time, all the time.

Bob has answered all my questions and in my opinion is one of the best gunsmiths around. I have a number of pistols and this is the one I consider a true Custom build.

I have a limited gun from Brazos. Compared to the new DVC, it still is better, trigger wise. The DVC's are as close as you're going to get, without going custom. The big difference is how my Brazos gun fits my hand. Bob makes the guns to your specific needs. So while the DVC may fit the average persons hand, it feels too big for me. That is the big difference between a custom made gun, and a stock one.

I just had a similar discussion in this forum. Your first question is how long you'd like to wait before you see a pistol. Bob's wait time is like 18 months when I spoke to him last week for a full up custom job. The DVC Limited, which is what started me on this path, can be had now on gunbroker. A number of other folks I called are also 18 months or there abouts. Cameron Custom Guns says 90 days on their website, but I don't know much about them. I'd lean towards a proper gunsmith working on a pistol, such as the HP Edge, being a better gun than a DVC if only because somebody has put hands on it. I can't back that up with experience and the DVC thread in the 1911-style pistol section has plenty of happy customers.

I agree, I talked to Bob this morning and he basically said the same thing about the Hp Edge being a better gun because of the fine tuning work. That may be the route I go, since I won't be competing with the gun, it will be a range/play toy.

I own 3 Brazos custom guns. They are great guns. If you want a custom but cant wait that long, I would get the HP Edge and then order a custom. You can shoot the HP Edge will you

wait on the custom. When the custom arrives you can sell the HP Edge.

• 1 month later...

I shoot with 3 guys that have Brazo's guns. I have never heard a problem form them and there guns run. Another guy I shoot with just bought a new DVC and was having a lot of malfunctions. He sent it back to STI and they had to replace the whole gun. Just a data point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My son and I each had a Brazos custom limited gun built in 2014. The guns run very well. In my experience any time I purchase a stock gun it takes some grooming and tuning to get it to run flawlessly. Brazos' gun are ready to run when you get them. The downside is waiting for one to be built but probably worth the wait in my opinion. If you do not want to wait buy something that will sell easily when your custom gun is ready. I think this is the avenue most people take. I know it is for me.

I purchased three guns from Bob. They have always ran like a charm and feed anything I put through it. Agree to by an HP Edge and order a Custom Limited. Once the Custom Limited is ready it would be easy to sell the Edge if you wanted to.