Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nu Finish producing clumps inside brass

NicVerAZ

I have started using Nu Finish added to my media (I use Lyman). I like the overall result but, in my last batch, I realized that some of my brass had clumps of Nu Finish and media inside.

Sometimes there is even Nu Finish residues inside.

What am I doing wrong in your mind and how can I avoid it?

I had the same issue before. Then I run the media & Nu Finish first before adding the brass. Now I have diluted NF with water and use a sprayer. Brass at the bottom and spray on the media enough to moisten. Idea is to mix the NF with the media.

Nimitz,

First dilute the nufinish with mineral spirits about 50/50 or so. This thins it out a lot. Then run the tumbler with media and polish for 5 minutes or so to break up the clumps.

A trick I learned is to firmly hold onto the center shaft on the bowl while running. This causes everything to move from bottom to top much faster. If there still any clumps they will pop to the top almost instantly. If I'm in a hurry I just break them up with my fingers

You can also get quick shine wax in spray cans. It's already emulsified and there's no way for it to clump and it doesn't dry out like some of the paste waxes can. I also used this type of wax on my car wheels and then tried it with corncob. Works perfectly.

I put in the nufinish and then let it run for 30 mins before adding brass, that breaks it all up. run your hand through it real quick to make sure no more clumps. Also you don't need to add nufinish every time your run the tumbler. One cap full will last several runs.

I also use mineral spirits, but never thought about mixing the two first. Not a bad idea.

Edited by rev1911

Why ?

I use the Lyman green (treated corn cob).

Started off tumbling for 45 minutes. A friend said add 15 minutes when it does not clean enough.I am now up to 1:15.

When you get to 3 hours throw it out and buy some more. Should be about 18 months.

Bought some nu finish but it is still sitting on the cabinet.

Edited by BMaus

Why ?

I use the Lyman green (treated corn cob).

Because you can buy corn cob and walnut hull in bulk 40-50 pound bags for maybe a little more than the lyman stuff. Should last several years depending on use.

Never used nufinish but I would take old dryer sheets, cut them in half, put brass polish on it, fold it in half and put it in the tumbler with the corn cob. No more clumps in cases!

Had this exact problem when condensation in the media made the NuFinish clump up on me suddenly. What a mess!

Tumbling in an unheated garage year round probably does not help.

I will try the mineral spirits with the polish idea. Good idea.

I developed the habit of adding Nufinish to the media right after dumping the brass into the separator. I let the tumbler run while I organize my loading bench (usually 10 - 15 minutes). I add a cap full and pour it slowly around the moving medial. Never had a clumping problem.

That way the tumble is always ready to go and I can dump brass into it when I return from the range. Once the tumbler is full, its time to run it.

Bill

• 4 months later...

I add a half cap of NuFinish each time. My method is to first run the brass in walnut with a cap full of mineral oil overnight, then in the corn with NuFinish overnight (2 tumblers). But I am going to try the spray wax now. Run both tumblers open because there is zero dust. I usually only run a 5 gallon amount every few months.

From nasty to nice

image36947.jpg

and to minimize primer residue during de-capping, oil filled tray

image37187.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 40/60 mix of Lyman Treated Corn Cob (green) and cornblast. I run for 2 hrs to clean and when I have to run it more than 4 hrs, I replace the media. I always add 2 used Bounce dryer sheets to the Lyman Turbo 1200 and 4 to the Lyman 2500.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...