Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped gun - DQ?

Solvability

Shooter is up and the RO calls Load and Make Ready - the shooter loads up and holsters his gun - back at the peanut gallery someone knocks his range bag to the ground and his backup gun hits the deck - it is his gun and it is during his run so does he get a DQ - what does the rule book say about this?

I think the rule is explicit and there is no option.

Edited by Solvability

No

First of all that makes no sense but if you want to do it by the book then 5.1.9 says the backup gun is not in use, therefore is not in a course of fire.

The correct action is for a range official to retrieve the dropped gun and have the competitor clear it on the safe area. If it is in safe condition then re-bag and move on.

I personally would have one RO tell the competitor to ULSC, holster current handgun, and start next shooter while another remediates the dropped gun. Then allow competitor to shoot once backup gun secure.

Edited by SteveU

Shooter is up and the RO calls Load and Make Ready - the shooter loads up and holsters his gun - back at the peanut gallery someone knocks his range bag to the ground and his backup gun hits the deck - it is his gun and it is during his run so does he get a DQ - what does the rule book say about this?

That would not be a DQ for the shooter as he did not drop or cause the gun to fall.

Besides if the RO said LOAD and make ready I would question his RO skills. :)

Actually the more I think about it the guy in the peanut gallery caused it to fall.

Edited by Sarge

Why the heck would the gun just be loose in his range bag anyhow and not in a gun rug?

I have two rugs built into my bag that are nothing more than open pouches with a velcro strap to keep them closed. I do not use them to hold guns but if my bag is knocked off the table it is possible for their contents to spill out.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the "Load and Make Ready" command in the rule book? It's just "Make Ready" This guy claimed to be an RO? There is no DQ for some dumb dumb dumping your gun bag, it was not in action for the course of fire.

Maybe He was shooting IPSC? The range command is "load and make ready"

So IPSC doesn't have unloaded starts? (not trying to be a smartass, just wondering :cheers: ) I believe that's one of the reasons that USPSA doesn't include the "load and" part.

Maybe He was shooting IPSC? The range command is "load and make ready"

So IPSC doesn't have unloaded starts? (not trying to be a smartass, just wondering :cheers: ) I believe that's one of the reasons that USPSA doesn't include the "load and" part.

The January 2015 IPSC Handgun Comepetition Rules states:
8.3.1 "Load And Make Ready" (or "Make Ready" for starts with an unloaded firearm) – This command signifies
the start of "the Course of Fire". Under the direct supervision of the Range Officer the competitor must face
downrange, or in a safe direction as specified by the Range Officer, fit eye and ear protection, and prepare the
firearm in accordance with the written stage briefing. The competitor must then assume the required start
position. At this point, the Range Officer will proceed.

We actually rely on a touch of discretion from our RO's to use common sense. :goof:

We just simplified and standardized on one command......

But then we apparently believe that USPSA competitors will remember to stuff bullets in the gun, when needed.... :roflol::roflol:

We actually rely on a touch of discretion from our RO's to use common sense. :goof:

But then we apparently believe that USPSA competitors will remember to stuff bullets in the gun, when needed.... :roflol::roflol:

I've seen that not happen more than once. :ph34r:

You have GOT to be putting us on! WAAAY too early for April fools!

Mags were loaded, but you need the gun to stuff them in to. :)