Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How necessary is a chronograph?

I have a few friends that have loaded for years without one, but I had a squib(used lead data for a Rainer lead-safe bullet) and am thinking I would have caught the issue before it was too late with a chrony.

Being I usually shoot at an indoor range, I have been looking at the MagnetoSpeed V3. I like the idea of it, but it's the cost of a few steel targets I was looking at getting for practice or a few more thousand rounds to load.

Please educate me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrono should be sold with presses. That's how important I feel they are.

How would a chrono have avoided a squib? You were using the correct charge since played bullets generally use the same charge as bare lead bullets. You probably just failed to drop powder if it stuck in the barrel.

Chrono should be sold with presses. That's how important I feel they are.

How would a chrono have avoided a squib? You were using the correct charge since played bullets generally use the same charge as bare lead bullets. You probably just failed to drop powder if it stuck in the barrel.

I agree,,you can't use one without the other.

I suppose he could be using the theory that if he was using a chrono and had a squib, he would have noticed that the chrono didn't register a projectile.

A chronograph is a key tool for the reloader as it will provide verification of the desired or intended velocity of the load being developed. It's main role in the process is to validate the expected velocity of the combination of bullet and specific powder charge.

I do not see how a chronograph would prevent a squib. The squib happened because you did something different in your reloading procedure or you were out of powder or something mechanically was different with your powder drop for that round.

Like Sarge, I think that a chronograph is essential and since they can be gotten for less than $100, there is no reason not to have one. As for the MagnetoSpeed, it is a very good product but it is priced at the upper end of the market. They have a new version called the Sporter for a lot less money. I'm not sure how they work with semi-auto pistols unless you have a rail like on a Glock.

Only you can prevent squibs. Only you can prevent dangerous double charges. The chrono will let you know the quality of your loads and if you are heading into an overload. Using the wrong bullet type data would not have caused a squib.

Having and using a Chrono sounds like a "no Brainer ".

I bought a Chrono and have used it once in 2 years..why? Because I don't have the property to use it outdoors. I got a friend's OK for that one time event and we are planning event #2 later this fall. I have all the chrono lots tagged and ready to go when we get set on the land.

Tried to get the OK to use my Chrono at my local Sharp Shooters Range and with all permissions to use a vacant (training range) that day we got set up and then were shut down by the range officer who did not get the word and wanted to charge big bucks..Nuts.

Could join a Gun Club where others do some Chrono work but inconvenient as all get out!

I gave up hopes to Chrono archived rounds until we can get back on the big and safe tract of land mentioned earlier. BTW, it is OK in a local Ga County if you own (or have permission) your acreage to fire a weapon outdoors.

Life moves on !!

Sarge, I thought same as you on the bullets. However Rainier's new site says to use jacketed load data. That means my loads were about a quarter low.

Warp speed, your correct there are cheaper. But none seem to work well inside. And the range I go to do not allow items placed down range, hence the interest in the v3

OP, I think you need to concentrate on your reloading technique first. Producing squibs is a bigger probelm than knowing how fast your loads are. What kind of press are you loading on? If you are going by the powder manufacturers load data, starting at the minimum charge weight and recommended overall lenght, the next step is to determine what produces the best accuracy in your gun by varying charge weight and OAL, use the same case headstamp for this exercise, and move at least .3 grains per test. Most progressive loaders will throw +/- .1 grains. The chrono is not going to tell you what the most accurate load is, and if you are not shooting competition, to determine if you meet the power floor of the division (bullet weight times velocity), then there really is no need for one.

The V3 is more for rifle use as its strapped to the end of the barrel. might be able to make a brace or something to hold it on the table, but not ideal. Get a CED M2 or a Chrony.

And yes, Chronos are essential to load development, especially if you compete. how do you know you are making proper PF unless you chrono the rounds. But a chrono wont stop you from a squib. it MIGHT save you from an overcharge but only if you are lucky and the first one doesn't blow something up.

I don't think a chronograph is necessary at all unless you have a requirement for insuring that your ammo meets a specific power factor.

People have been sucessfully loading metallic cartridges for 150 years or so, chronographs have been cheap and readily available for a relatively short time.

what weapon are you going to use it for? I don't think you can use it (easily) with a pistol.

Mainly pistols. But they have an adapter that works well. and you can attach it to suppressors easily.

OP, I think you need to concentrate on your reloading technique first. Producing squibs is a bigger probelm than knowing how fast your loads are. What kind of press are you loading on? If you are going by the powder manufacturers load data, starting at the minimum charge weight and recommended overall lenght, the next step is to determine what produces the best accuracy in your gun by varying charge weight and OAL, use the same case headstamp for this exercise, and move at least .3 grains per test. Most progressive loaders will throw +/- .1 grains. The chrono is not going to tell you what the most accurate load is, and if you are not shooting competition, to determine if you meet the power floor of the division (bullet weight times velocity), then there really is no need for one.

The rounds that were causing problem were the first I loaded on the 550. The great members on here helped me fix my technique and find a rithym. All my 9mm and 45 rounds have been great. These were 38 spec.

I've got two of them and don't really think they are necessary unless:

You like developing loads that aren't on anyones charts !

You compete in an activity that requires a certain Power Factor or has a limit on how low your velocity may be.

You want to know your actual velocity so you can tell which trajectory chart to employ, or make one of your own.

I didn't get a chrono until I started shooting 9 Major. Running that close to the ragged edge I want to know exactly where I'm at in regards to power factor. When I shot minor, I just loaded a bunch of different loads that were in the middle of the load range, then went and shot them and picked the one that was most accurate. The load I picked got chronoed at a level II match at 136.

You like developing loads that aren't on anyones charts !

You compete in an activity that requires a certain Power Factor or has a limit on how low your velocity may be.

Interesting points. I do load a 335 grn bullet for the desert eagle that isn't on a chart. 325 grn is, and I've not had any issues with odor loading a grn, but would be nice to see the speed.

As for comps I only shoot idpa club matchs and the occasionally gssf match.

Another reason I thought to get one is finding out what velocity my 147 grn load is going. It won't cycle my p320 with suppressor attached. (This forum is more about competition loading which is why I didn't mention earlier)

The V3 is more for rifle use as its strapped to the end of the barrel. might be able to make a brace or something to hold it on the table, but not ideal. Get a CED M2 or a Chrony.

I looked up the two mentioned and neither seem possible to set up at a public indoor range unless they let you call a cease fire and go down range to set up. Unless I missed something, which is possible.

The new Labradar one would solve some of the problems, but they haven't been out long enough to really tell how good they may or may not be. Also they are about the same price as an Oehler 35P - not cheap !!!

I am a fan of a chrono, but I load a lot of different guns. It is another tool in the toolbox. If you ever shoot long range rifle, you will absolutely need one. Maybe ask to rent one from the range if they have one. My range actually has a loaner we can use as well.

I have a chrono also. I brought it at the same time as the press for load development for the M1 Garand low recoil rds. Wouldn't be with out one. The M1 rds were my first reloads.

HotRod

Edited by HotRod61

Thanks everyone. After talking with the gun smith that cleared the squib, I ordered the Magnetospeed. Got a great deal from Primary Arms too. I know it wont solve the squib issue, but it will help me get a better idea if my loads are working or not.

I loaded for 20 years without a chronograph so I wouldn't be one to say they are needed equipment.

Having several now, I wouldn't be without one. I actually keep one in the truck with me so I have it wherever I go.

Having to attach the magneto speed to the barrel was a deal breaker for me though.

I too was happily reloading without a chrono until I got a ProChrono for Christmas last year. Now I wonder how I got along without it. While some loads come out close to published data, others differ dramatically depending on your pistol, components used, etc. The chrono helps you understand what is going on and provides you information that can guide you on where to go next with your reloading.

• 10 months later...

I thought I would update this thread after using the magnetospeed v3.

I really like how it interfaces with pistols. Nice, simple and reliable. It's also easy to get to the range and set up. The downside is I load with coated lead bullets. The magnetospeed doesn't read them well unless the gain is up high and your using a gun with a low bore axis. Once I learned that it works great. I found out the the load data I was using is not giving me published results. Wouldn't have know why I was having issues without it.

Downside is it doesn't work on all handguns, so you may still need something else. Overall, I am happy with my purchase. Just need to talk a friend into getting a different style for my short barreled revolvers and desert eagle.