Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^

Agreed. I'm leaving my windows 7 machines alone, but have windows 8 machine I'm upgrading to windows 10 in a couple more months after they get it fine tuned a bit more. (am I the only one who finds windows 8 to be annoying?)

we did 2 upgrades. no issues so far.. (except the machine doesn't seem to go 'to sleep' like it should)

it is different enough from windows 7, that it can be hard to find how to do a few things. And Edge, I don't care for it at this point, and I'll stick with Chrome

Windows 8.. someone uses Windows 8?.. I thought that was like Windows Vista or Windows ME... no one actually used it.. lol

I did it and nothing bad seemed to happen - but I use Google and haven't opened the "cloud" storage and don't intend to.

I'm not sure it's really worth it, be interesting to see a computer that had started with it instead of an "upgrade" from 8.1 !

I had a machine lose a harddrive.When I went to rebuild the Windows 7 OS, I was faced with this:

post-400-0-35807900-1439583694_thumb.jpg

There were actually two of those. Quite a bit of update activity since 2009! Since I had a virgin drive image (and W7 was fighting making a image backup) I went to 10. So far, so good.

MS doesn't have the best reputation for bulletproof intros so I think I'll wait at least a couple of weeks.

I recently had a HD crash like Chuck and found the updates when reinstalling Windows 7 quite comical.

I did it and nothing bad seemed to happen - but I use Google and haven't opened the "cloud" storage and don't intend to.

I'm not sure it's really worth it, be interesting to see a computer that had started with it instead of an "upgrade" from 8.1 !

Yeah, they can keep their "cloud" crap. I too prefer Google Chrome, as my web browser.

Yeah, they can keep their "cloud" crap. I too prefer Google Chrome, as my web browser.

You mean the browser that stores all your browser settings, history, and bookmarks in the cloud? :D

ArsTechnica tends to be deeply technical about things, but this article (even if the reader doesn’t fully understand the terminology) indicates that Microsoft is doing data-sharing things in the background that we aren’t aware of . . .
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

This is a similar article:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/08/13/windows-10-found-talking-to-remote-servers-despite-privacy-settings

And here’s something about the limitations of rollback options if Win-10 isn’t what you expected:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/211557-reminder-windows-10-rollback-option-is-only-available-for-30-days

My own technician suggested waiting three to six months before even CONSIDERING an installation Windows 10. I use Windows 7 and I read somewhere that Microsoft will be supporting that OS for quite some time yet. Meanwhile, I just keep doing research on Win-10 and see what others are experiencing.

Unless you are unhappy with the Windows version you have now, don't install Windows 10 for 6-8 months. Let the bugs get worked out.

This is wisdom. Every new OS comes with a ton of bugs that are gradually patched with service pack upgrades until it works OK.... and then you get the next new OS.

You might research online, I read a LOT of negative hate about WIN 10 because they changed the interface too much and screwed it up.

^^^

Agreed. I'm leaving my windows 7 machines alone, but have windows 8 machine I'm upgrading to windows 10 in a couple more months after they get it fine tuned a bit more. (am I the only one who finds windows 8 to be annoying?)

I read they rushed out WIN 10 as a result of the anger that the screwed up WIN 8 had generated.

There's been warnings about a fake windows 10 upgrade that results in your data being hijacked and literally held for ransom.

Also warnings about the invasion of privacy and data collection from upgrading to 10.

A web search on the subjects will lead to all kinds of info.

Edited by g.willikers

I did the upgrade on a few of my PCs and had an issue. Found out it was the reserved boot space filled up. Once I corrected that, the upgrades went fine. Only found one issue on one of my PCs related to a port multiplier card. They give you 30 days to roll back and it went seamlessly. All my settings preserved and all intact. Will wait on my other PCs and laptop until there is some more debugging time but so far, so good on 1 PC. And yes, they are giving it away free for 1 year for certain distros.

For those who have concerns about privacy issues, be aware that a large swath of software out there, including smart phones and even smart TV's do send information of some kind back to the mothership. This is done to "improve the product and the user experience." IOW, it's for our own good.

Here's some information and recommendations on Win10 from a respected source:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5337/windows-10-tip-understand-and-configure-privacy-settings