Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Have windows 10, it keeps shutting down and restarting, have tried several fixes from support but nothing has worked so far.

I bought a laptop that did that. Took it back to Best Buy and the returns lady basically said "oh, yeah, another one of those."

Conversely my home pc is a bit older and I did the free upgrade without incident.

ld

Have windows 10, it keeps shutting down and restarting, have tried several fixes from support but nothing has worked so far.

I have a laptop (in beginning of this post) that did the same thing...after months of troubleshooting I discovered that it was the Anti-virus software that was causing the laptop to restart after shutdown. I upgraded the anti-virus software to a version with Windows 10 compatibility and problem ceased to exist. BTW...my anti-virus is Trend Micro Officescan.

There are other things to look at too...there is a setting you need to disable/uncheck...

Settings...System...Power&Sleep...Additional Power Settings...Choose what the power button do...under shutdown settings, uncheck "Turn on fast startup".

Recommend...Try the settings first and see if that helps, then investigate your anti-virus.

Edited by Mark R

I use Windows 7, and no other devices.

Am I going to ask for trouble, or will I gain some advantage,

by installing my free upgrade to Windows 10?

What's the latest thinking now that we all have a year's

experience.

Thanks, :cheers:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• 1 month later...

If you're running Wiin7, you're now 3 full versions behind, 4 after Win10 Anniversary comes out. Microsoft will begin to lose interest in you, as they did with XP. In that sense, if it ain't broke don't fix it doesn't fly anymore. (Nothing personal there, by the way!)

I just did the upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. Went VERY smoothly, no issues at all. And just like Win7 is what Vista SHOULD have been, Win10 is what Wiin8 & 8.1 should have been. And it runs ezwinscore.

Plus, since this was up under VMWare Fusion, I made a backup of my Win7 guest machine ahead of time. Now I have both 7 and 10 running. Not that either one will see that much action from me. I just needed to do the 10 upgrade as I need to be able to answer Win10 questions from other folks in the office as they start to get new machines.

My computer decided, all by iteself, to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10

one night while I was sleeping -

Real pain in the tail - I can't use emoticons anymore, plus other changes which

are beyond my 71 year old computer ignorant capability.

HATE IT !!!

Real pain in the tail - I can't use emoticons anymore, plus other changes which

are beyond my 71 year old computer ignorant capability.

You're 71. You shouldn't be using emoticons anymore anyway. :)

So I have an older PC that is still running XP and I've alredy noticed it is no longer compatible with some hardware. I would like to upgrade it but it doesn't seem to be allowing me to, does anyone know if you are only able to upgrade from win 7 and newer to the new win 10? Or is there something else I need to look into???

I can't use emoticons anymore

You're 71. You shouldn't be using emoticons anymore anyway. :)

Hey, Mreed, if I ever get emoticons going again, and I can find one that's really

BAD, I'm going to send it to your house :)

Put it on the outside of your peel-and-stick envelope when you US Postal mail it to me, grandpa. :P

Stamps.com still works on Windows 10 for the postage.

Edited by mreed911

• 5 weeks later...

I can't get any new OS it seems..My old Dell has windows Vista.

IE 9 is the latest it will take. And lots of websites don't work because they want you to have the latest browser.

Its sick to have to trash a perfectly good computer, I wish someone knew of a fix.

I've got Vista (which I really like) on a laptop and am going to have to upgrade as it is not supported by Microsoft anymore. Still works ok and Avast seems to be keeping it safe so far. Got Windows 10.1 on my "all in one" desktop and don't have any problems with it.