Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 9mm vs. .40 in Open

Ed K

I won a Glock certificate at a recent match.

I already own both production & limited Glocks.

I'm also set up to reload both 9mm & .40.

I would like to build an open Glock, but I'm on the fence on caliber.

Here are the questions.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of each one?

Home build kits, or spend the extra dough and send it to ZEV or SJC or ?

Slide mount optics or frame mount?

Other ideas or advice?

Thanks

Ed

If you are set to reload 9 get 9. 17 19, or 34 up to your choice. Unless you go 40 and do a conversion barrel ( slightly more weight) I had a g 22 with a tungsten guide rod and 40-9 barrel with carver 3 port comp. It was really nice and soft. I sold it to build a 38 super gun but will be building a g19 open soon to try. I recommend getting parts you want. Put a want to buy add and see what you can get. I would also recommend a stationary optic. My current g17 is milled for a dot and I'm going to put a derlon plate on it w slide racker. Most slide dots don't hold up great. Just my 2c. Shoot what you like. Carver makes a nice products. He offers several mounts. They will limit your choise in holsters. Sjc also makes a mount for most dots. Bobby carver is a nice (limited contact) and a good option as well if you go with sending it for a build.

Hello: The 40 open Glocks I have shot have more recoil than the 9mm ones. I think it is just the bullet weight 155 grain verses the 9mm 115-124 grain. You can find all the parts and build one yourself with a G17. Or you could put a wanted ad in the classifieds here and pick the one you want. Lots of parts and guns for sale here if you just ask. Thanks, Eric

I went with the a 17 for the reasons others have already listed.

I chose to build it myself, saves money and I like to tinker and you will learn a lot along the way. I would defiantly go with a frame mounted optic. It's going to be more reliable and easier to track the dot. I would also stay away from thumb rests. The one I have will cause the frame to flex. With a frame mounted optic this causes problems.

Thanks All.

Checked the box marked Glock 17 on my certificate.

Says it may take up to 20 weeks for delivery.

At least I have time to consider all of my build options.

Ed

Bobby Carver has a 90 degree cmore mount that you do not have to mill down the ejection port. You might want to check out. My only opion on 9 vs 40 is that there maybe a couple of times in a match that not having to reload may help your time. In a division were a second can make or break you.

Thanks All.

Checked the box marked Glock 17 on my certificate.

Says it may take up to 20 weeks for delivery.

At least I have time to consider all of my build options.

Ed

20 weeks? Is it being built by Infinity? Lol

I've had both---9 major can be a little finicky, but once you get it dialed in it rocks.

The only possible real advantage to 40 is that if you need ammo factory off

the shelf stuff will make major.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: The 40 open Glocks I have shot have more recoil than the 9mm ones. I think it is just the bullet weight 155 grain verses the 9mm 115-124 grain. You can find all the parts and build one yourself with a G17. Or you could put a wanted ad in the classifieds here and pick the one you want. Lots of parts and guns for sale here if you just ask. Thanks, Eric

When I switched from 155s to Rainier 135s it made a big difference on recoil and comp effectiveness

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I went with the a 17 for the reasons others have already listed.

I chose to build it myself, saves money and I like to tinker and you will learn a lot along the way. I would defiantly go with a frame mounted optic. It's going to be more reliable and easier to track the dot. I would also stay away from thumb rests. The one I have will cause the frame to flex. With a frame mounted optic this causes problems.

A thumb rest on a frame mount nullifies frame flexing issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Edited by BSComp

9mm all the way. I had Zev build me one a few months ago and it runs great! Try not to be fooled into those comps with too many holes in them, as it will make the gun more difficult to dial in. I wanted mine to be flat shooting AND reliable, so that's what I paid Zev to do. Their comp is great and I think also looks great. The frame mounted C-more is very reliable and proven. It's also my personal preference over slide mounted scopes. Their trigger is also really nice and again proven reliability comes with it. I hate to sound like I'm shilling for Zev, but I know the Franken-Glocks that I've seen built and have had the opportunity to shoot, and they are just not as flat or dialed in. Here is a link to mine, hopefully it works. If not, possibly cut and paste into the browser. It's from, "The Gallery" second page, entitled, "My new open Glock 34. The aforementioned reasons for 9mm from the other posts are also in line with my thoughts as well. In my opinion, whatever you end up doing, take measured pause and try out as many friends' set-ups as you can first. That will help you from nickel and diming yourself on your build and you'll only have to buy things once. Trust me, I've been there.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214953