Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KelsonAK

KelsonAK

Another steel challenge match.  2 feet of snow in the bay and a high temp of about 12f.  First two stages were meh - 5 to Go and Smoke and Hope.  Smoke and hope - I did manage to pull a 1.88 for a string, but I did not do a consistent job of stopping on the plates.  5 to Go was just a mental malfunction.  For the last two stages - Showdown and Roundabout - I did a better job of prepping for each string and didn't rush.  That translated into a 9.43 for Showdown and 9.34 for Roundabout.  The stages were consistent from string to string - and when all was done, it looks like those are my first two stages with a GM aggregate for Steel Challenge.   

Have been working on reloads very heavy for the past week or two - will continue on that for the next week as well - and whitewall drills.  Recovering from a bit of flu, and wife just came down with it, so don't know if I'll get to the uspsa match tomorrow.  Was looking forward to seeing if my work translated into improved performance in a match - but whatever.  Will get to a match eventually :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live fire practice this week did a few things for me.

First, I confirmed that my reloads shot to shot are landing at the 1.3ish seconds - which is in alignment with what I'm doing in dry fire.  Ok, good. 

Second - I confirmed that my ability to shoot dots at 5 yards is about 80% (shooting a clean dot 80% of the time.)  Cool. 

Lastly - reconfirmed that my transitions on targets that are not wide apart (about 1 yard apart at 10 yards) are running a little slower .04-.05 than my splits.

So... continue to work on reloads and keep working those trigger fundamentals.

As expected - this wednesday's steel challenge classification run puts me at 80% in rimfire pistol irons.  Have done 'something' to my shoulder - when I wosteke this morning I couldn't lift my right arm above parallel to the floor.  With heat and some massage it's a bit better.  No more dry fire this week - just some visualization practice I'm afraid.  If it's betterish on Saturday, steel match.  If it's betterish on sat, next wednesday may see a 90% in RFPI :)

• 2 weeks later...

Last Steel Challenge put me at 84.98%

Have another one this weekend, and a USPSA match on sunday.  

Have been working on two things the past couple weeks - both involving movement.  Reloading on the move, and shooting on the move.  In live fire practice this week, I tripple/quadruple checked the whole post and scoot vs. move and shoot thing.  2 targets - one at 10 yards, one at 15.  Move on the oblique left to right.  Post and move and post with the short distance involved was 3.8-4.0 seconds.  Move and shoot was typically 3-3.1 seconds.  Post/move/post wasn't much different than move/post/shoot.  The HF math works out in favor of shooting on the move if you drop one into the C zone.  It is neutral if you drop 2, and works against you if you drop more than that.  Net net - working on shooting on the move is a core skill to focus on. :)

This weekend's steel match should put me at 89% for rimfire pistol irons.  Spent a little time modifying my tracking spreadsheet to inIclude not only peak times but top 5 times from the last WSSC - and I have a ways to go before I'm actually competitive. :)  USPSA match was cancelled due to lack of range staff availability - one of the hazards of having a small club.  This week - more whitewall drills, more move and shoot drills/move and reload drills, and prep some stages for the 2 gun match this weekend.  That... is a challenge.  With the range conditions what they are, movement is very minimal for safety reasons.  So coming up with 5 stages that are pretty much stand and deliver that are also interesting can be hard.  

• 4 weeks later...

Steel challenge update - with today's match I should be at 90.6% for rfpi
Weather is still pretty chilly - high for the match today was 19f. That does have an effect - more so on my limited work, but even in rimfire it is noticeable. The Ruger has been reliable in the cold for the past few months - not a small feat I think.
Uspsa match tomorrow for the first time in 3 months - should be fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Time to update and get back in the swing of range diary-ing.

This weekend was -17 for the steel challenge match.  Had 14 guns signed up so we went with it.  4 stage match - morning flight and afternoon flight.  

Managed a personal best in 5 to Go and Showdown.  Which is good, because the week prior I had been working on both stages in my morning practice sessions.  In practice, I had been seeing strings 'consistent' in the 2.5 range for 5 to Go with some in the 2.2 and 2.3 range.  blind squirrel practice was in 2.0 range.  In match, started on the slow side but landed at 2.50 for last 2 strings.  There is still quite a bit of room to pull out time on this stage.  Probably another 1.5 seconds in the next 2 months.

Showdown followed a similar path - started on the slow side with 2.5 but by string 3 I was hammering out the sub 2 second run I was seeing in practice and may have had an even lower aggregate time if the dreaded 'oops, it's cold and this is a rimfire' malfunction hadn't finally caught up with me.I need to build a better warm bag for the pistol and magazines eventually.  Practice typically started in the 2.3/2.4 range for the first pass, and then dropped into the 1.7-1.9 range pretty quickly, so this works for me.  Need to sort out how to START with a faster time, but is ok to get a better than 100% time :)  There is probably another second to pull out of this stage with just a little consistency.    

Other 2 stages were Smoke and Hope and Pendulum.  Smoke and hope I had too many make up shots on either the stop plate or plate 2 or 3.  I shoot 43125 - so a miss on 3 is a fairly fast make up, but a miss on 2 is a PITA.  I just wasn't stopping the gun.  When I did it right I was shooting about where I should - in the 1.6 to 1.8 range.  When I did it wrong (which was most of the time on saturday) it wound up in the low 2s.  😕 

Pendulum - I don't think I had a string without a makeup shot.  So instead of the 2.5s or 2.3s I shoot in practice I was launching 2.9s and 3s.  Guess what I need to work on in live fire next?

Practice for this week is largely going to be in the gym doing strength training and dryfire.  It's stupid cold out, so I'm going to stay inside.

On wednesday when the numbers run, I'll have my first GM.  RFPI.  This is significant for me because 1)  I'm 51.  Not 'young eyes' or any of that crap.  2)  It's been something that I've wanted to achieve for a long time.  3)  now the real work begins, because it's not about the next classification any more - it's about cutting .1s and .05s and just shooting...