Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win 231/HP38 Being Phased Out

Santini

Just read this on another forum...

"Winchester 231 certainly has been hard to get. The plant that makes Winchester powders does not want to make 231 as well as a few other powders. These older technology powders have different chemistry than the new powders and this older chemistry makes it much slower to make powder: basically, you can make about 2.5 times as many pounds of new chemistry powder in the time it takes to make 1 pound of old chemistry powder. During the process of making the old powders, the waste stream created is huge compared to the waste stream of the new chemistry powders. Chemical waste is very expensive to get rid of. So, the plant wants to phase out the old chemistry powders and replace them with new chemistry powders. While they are still making 231, the amount is being reduced and the amount of new powder such as Titegroup and Longshot is being increased.

Now, we are kind of stuck in the middle. The market is demanding 231 but the maker is not wanting to produce the powder. The result is, over time, 231 is going to go away. Shooters should begin using other powders as they can.

Mike Daly

Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants

Hodgdon Smokeless Powder

IMR Powder Company

Winchester Smokeless Propellants

GOEX Blackpowder"

Edited by Santini

While not impossible to find, W231 and HP-38 are at best difficult to locate. So they will discontinue an already nearly impossible to find powder. Who will really notice?

There is no other industry on this planet that thinks and acts like the smokeless powder industry. At least as far as the domestic consumer market is concerned. Personally I'm not opposed to marketing a new and improved product. I know that some are upset that when their favorite powder leaves the market then they have to reinvent the wheel. This doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the near perfect lack of communications regarding current and future availability of suitable pistol powders.

There was a fire in a fluffing machine in the factory that makes the base for Clays. That fire was sometime in 2013. No information from the industry and actually it was about a year before anyone would admit to the incident. Hodgdon told their loyal customers that the line would be back up and powder available in early 2015. Well Hodgdon didn't technically lie because a very small amount to clays made it to the stores in early 2015. But that was it. Now it appears that the base used for clays will be changed and phased out by ADI sometime in the future.

I see a little bit of AA#5 available these days online. I know that there are some who are happy about this but for the individual that never used AA#5 it would be crazy to start now now given Westerns lack of concern for their customer base. Lesson learned, if you see a powder you can use, buy it and learn to live with it. Don't get too attached, you will be disappointed at some point.

On another forum about two years ago I floated the idea that the powders suppliers were using the (now almost 3 year) powder shortage to clean out their stockrooms, increase prices and eliminate/streamline their offerings. A lot of that forums posters thought I was barking at the moon for suggesting that the list of available powders would be getting smaller. Oh well.

Edited by firewood

What do you guys find as a good option for W231 especially for Lead/Poly coated - with jacketed I am fine with Titegroup but low smoke and great flexibility with w231 has been my main powder consumable for years.

I just picked up 4 lbs of VV N320, which is just slightly faster than W231, but I haven't really had a chance to work with it much. Hopefully, it will fill that spot.

Bob

If the process truly is 2.5x slower than newer chemistry powders, they should figure the actual cost and charge accordingly. This is manufacturing 101.

My guess is all of you loyal 231/HP38 fans aren't going to continue to buy it if the price goes up 2x. I would also guess that Winchester has already determined this as well.

I just picked up 4 lbs of VV N320, which is just slightly faster than W231, but I haven't really had a chance to work with it much. Hopefully, it will fill that spot.

I think you will find it to be superior to 231 in about every way except price. I just started using n320 a few months ago and its my new favorite powder. I would gladly sell off my titegroup and SR7625 stockpiles if I could replace it with n320, even at the higher price.

I think you will find it to be superior to 231 in about every way except price. I just started using n320 a few months ago and its my new favorite powder. I would gladly sell off my titegroup and SR7625 stockpiles if I could replace it with n320, even at the higher price.

Thanks....Good to know...

231/HP38 was my "go to" powder from the '70s up until the latest shortage. While looking around I started using Autocomp and CFE Pistol. I like both of them for 9 minor and major. I actually traded my remaining stock of 231 for Autocomp a few months ago. I've stopped looking for 231/HP38 so I'm leaving whatever is left of the supply for others. :bow:

A company names Shooters World is now importing Lovex powders that are along the Titegroup / Win231 burn rate. I guess I will start stocking up on these while its still relatively cheap and plentiful right now. 231 is my most frequently used powder, hate to see it go.

Edited by andre3k

I really like the Vhit powders. But they have had supply issues in the States off and on. I mostly stopped using them 10 or so years ago when they went through a phase of low availability. But I still keep some N320 around for my .40 loads. N350 was great in .38 Super, and ran much cleaner than the Longshot that I currently use.

I guess I had assumed the WST/WSF/WSL powders were made similar to 231 in that they are all flake powders. Are they not made the same way as 231? I am seeing all of those locally, but not 231. So are these others the "new chemistry" stuff? I've been using some WSF recently, as it gives better velocities than 231.

I haven't seen Tightgroup in a while either. Shooting .38 Special through a T/C Contender, I got much better groups than a similar load with 231. I've never seen that kind of accuracy increase in a pistol cartridge before just by changing powder.

So while 231 has been my "go to" powder for the past couple of decades, I'm not opposed to switching to something else once my current supply runs out.

ww231 is a great broad spectrum powder that works well in almost all pistol calibers for target loads and was available at nearly every LGS that sold powders, and there was a truckload of data for it. I used the last of my ww231 stash last year and found some Alliant shotgun flake and Vectan that perform just as good if not better...and cleaner.

One good thing about the powder drought was I tried powders I'd never have given a second look, and am glad I did.

Edited by Bamboo

I am told this is a simply another gunshop rumor:

The powder has not been discontinued nor have we been told that I going to be discontinued.

Mike Van Dyke
Customer Service Representative
Hodgdon Powder Company
6430 Vista Drive
Shawnee, KS 66218
913-362-9455 Ext. 109

Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 10:32 PM
To: Help Account
Subject: W231 / HP38 being phased out? Please tell me it isn't true....

Can you authenticate this story? If this is another Internet hoax I would like to assist with rumor control.
It seems to be all over the net, but there seems to be no link to a source within the company.

Thanks.

Been playing with Alliant BE86. Better in 9mm and .38 SPL than 231/HP38. Cleaner and less recoil in wienie match loads. Also doesn't leave a lot of residue in revo chambers. I could live with BE86 if 231/HP38 vanishes... and I have used 231/HP38 for the last decade.

Edited by GOF