Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M1 vs Beretta 1301

scubadds

I have an older Hk Benelli M1 that I bought back in the 90's. Its a 28" (pretty sure) and I found a spare 28" barrel in a pawn shop a few years back.

It seems like a no brainer to work it up for 3 gun and have the barrel cut (I guess)

Or just grab a beretta 1301 and sell the spare barrel.

Any thoughts between the 2.

What would be ideal on the Benelli? (what barrel length and tube combo)

By the time you add the en-vogue 12 round or larger tube, you'll be over the lengthy of your 28" Benelli anyway.

Buy a Nordic or RCI tube, and a few cases of 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 7.5 shotshells and get busy practicing.

I'm a happy 1301 owner but for the money I'd just run the Benelli....this sport is expensive enough as it is with travel and ammo costs. I'd leave the barrel at 28" and give it a try.

Ok,

How about the Benelli M4 I have with the longer tube and bolt handle....lol....

Thanks guys,

I will get the Benelli M1 out of the safe and get her dressed up for Prom....

A friend of mine runs an M1 in 3Gun dress with no issues or regrets.

thanks guys...

I was figuring by the time I dialed in the benelli I could have a new Beretta. I can get the Beretta at cost...

Sell the spare 28" barrel and not have to do any bolt work....

Not that far apart in cost and I still have my bird hunting gun intact.....

It sounds like you want to buy a new shotgun- and the Beretta is as good as anything on the market. I have one, but I went back to my Benelli because it just felt a little more familiar.

But, don't convince yourself that buying a new shotgun is going to give you some performance gains.

Bolt work? A lightened carrier is not needed and most guys that run them can't take advantage of the extra .03 seconds they'll allow the gun to run. I've run a stock carrier for the past 4 years and the only time I can outrun the gun is when I'm expecting to not hit any targets smaller than a berm.

I'm a gun guy too- the only reason I compete is because I have all these cool toys that would sit in the safe and stay clean otherwise. But just keep in mind performance is based upon experience, not gear.

Edited by Bryan 45

thanks Bryan45

I have not put any effort into shotgun in years, so I have a learning curve ahead....I figured I needed to spend money on one or the other; just wanted to pick carefully

Last time I did 3 gun, my m1 bolt was going so slow you could watch it close...I think submerging it while duck hunting didn't exactly help....it was nasty in the spring tube area....

So, I was hesitant to just pick it up and shoot without going thru it carefully....

A quick math check

If I dial up the M1 (oversize bolt, Bolt release, safety, limbsaver. and Nordic +9 and clamp I am at $219....

If I decide to send to Briley to cut the 28' and choke, add $300 (plus Hi-viz)

So all in around $600 for M1 that I own

I think Beretta is around $975 or so, plus a nordic

I think my M1 lifter may be old enough that it will not have the thumb cutter on it....But the gun is at my farm, an hour away at the moment.

Edited by scubadds

The very last thing an M1 needs is a "big bolt handle", they just aren't that hard to rack. An RNT type bolt closer is $20.00 bucks and you don't have to drill and tap the button. A big safety is $20 bucks and a pre- fit limbsaver pad runs around $45. Add a tube and your fine. All these things can be done in less than a half hour total time, and you already own it. My personal experience with the M1 is that they last virtually forever. I have shot one since 1995 with only a 2 year hiatus when I shot an M2. It is closing in on 275,000 rounds. I am back to shooting the M1 for the last two years because it just feels right to me because I have so much time behind it.

If you didn't already own a shotgun, either would be a great choice!

I would try it just the way it is at first. You can always go shorter latter if you decide to. As I recall you can chop a 28" barrel right around 22" and be in a rib support and get chokes installed. Carlson's offers this service and is cheaper than Briley, as does Simmons in Kansas.

It really doesn't matter which of those 2 you are using. I have both.

Currently my M1 is made for modified division (comp attached) and 1301 is for standard division.

My wife likes more the 1301 than M1 or M2. She is going to use it on Shotgun World Shoot and I will use the M1.

Kurt and Trapr, we hope to see you guys there. ;):)