Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vision issues and front sights

Phil Dunlop

I did the stick on bifocal thing on one eye for close to a year. It worked very well (I only shoot pistol though) until I had to lean out from cover to shoot around barriers. I would occasionally get a double image from the edge of the stick-on. I had to make absolutely sure that I completely turned my head to the target for those, especially ones where my dominant eye was on the side of my head towards the barrier.

A guy at my regular match pointed me towards safety reading glasses, which are full lens sized. I've been trying them for a month now and they seem to work a little better.

I've been looking for some for a while now, robport. Can you suggest a brand or a source to buy them from. I can't seem to find anything suitable here in South Africa

Sent by Jedi mind control

I've gotten a few pair from Amazon.com. The key is the "full lens" part. Most safety reading glasses are bifocals and you have to angle your head to see through them.

I believe the company is Elvex.

http://www.amazon.com/Rx-500C-1-5-Full-lens-Wraparound-Polycarbonate-Magnification/dp/B00KSJP2V0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1441971097&sr=8-10&keywords=safety+reading+glasses

Thanks. I'll try to find some. Often, Amazon won't ship stuff to south Africa because it gets stolen by post office employees. But at least now I have a brand name to search for.

I bought the bifocal type but, as you said, they're useless for shooting unless you like tilting your head back all the time

Sent by Jedi mind control

Edited by CZinZA

• 2 weeks later...

The OP's problem is likely needing reading glasses to see the front sight, i.e. "farsighted". I have had the same develop over recent years. Tried the stick-on lens, as well as bifocals/progressive glasses, which work, until you tilt your head differently in a match situation and look outside of the focus. Internet "research" suggested getting a reading glass lens for just the dominant eye, which is a good option, but is a custom job from Rudy's, etc.

After speaking with my ophthalmologist, he suggested a reading lens contact in the dominant eye and leave the other eye for far vision. My non dominant eye doesn't need a lens for far vision, so just the one contact. It worked so well that I use that method all day long at work to see computer, etc. Both eyes blend near and far well, not what I expected before trying. No problems driving. You lose a small amount of clarity with distant vision with that setup, but most of the detail we want to see is up close. They also have a progressive contact option for those that have trouble adjusting to 2 different eyes. I just wear whatever safety glasses I want over the contact and roll. Moved up a division in IDPA shortly after correction. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

On my colt 1911 the front sight is pretty close to permanent. So for a quick fix I used high vis nail polish. Just remember to use non-acetone remove when it comes time to get rid of it. This is a cheap and easy way to see if a high vis sight will help before you spend too much.

I tried using the bifocal stick-on twice (only right eye). Somehow it's like I'm seeing too many front and rear sights and I'm getting lost figuring out which front sight goes along with which rear :surprise:

Gets better when I close my left eye but then the target gets too blurry (if I can find it).

On a side note I got a pound of VV N320 to try as an alternative for AA #5, which turns my fiber front sight black in no-time.

After much delay....if finally ordered a set of Rudy Project shooting glasses....they are essentially reverse bi-focals with the near vision correction on top.

The good : front sight crystal clear...targets out to a reasonable distance acceptable

The bad....useless with a long gun...the optics are totally out of wack.

I would go the same route again..trying to stay focused on the front sight........

• 3 weeks later...

I switched to open 10 yrs ago, its been a struggle for me finding the front with Std.div gun and Revolver. Now Im itching to shoot the Classic 1911 Div. have an appointment with my doctor this weekend and the initial plan was to reverse the bifocal lens, the RX will be on the top side so I still run and move . I only need a 125 lens just to able to see the front sight. I experimented with a lowest RX reading glasses ( ready to wear sold at Wallmart) and the Front is very clear but I cant moved or run with it. the ground doesnt look even. lol

• 1 year later...

Reviving this topic: I had a concussion early this year and during tests they noticed that I had convergence trouble. I went to the eye doctor and found out that I've had that all my life and I seem to have been able to adapt really well. I brought in my shooting glasses (saw on their website they are Wiley X dealer) to see what they could do. My left eye is better for arms length focus and my right eye for distance. Not what I want for shooting. I did "the stance" and they figured things out to focus right eye for front sight and left for distance. I learned 2 things: My stance angle did not work with both eyes open (I see double if I don't look straight ahead because of that convergence thing) and my Leupold LCO dot turned into a donut unless positioned at the very edge of the glass. So I made another appointment to redo the glasses. This time she let me bring in my pistol and rifle to set things up the right way. Now I have a bifocal section in my right glass, at the top in the middle somewhat with plenty of room to the left of that section for my rifle dot; it's 1 moa again. And because I'm aiming my pistol straight ahead, can even shoot pistol with both eyes open (still needs practice though) without seeing double. They are perfect now! Kudos to the eye doctor who took this as a learning opportunity.