Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xl650 40sw

I'm buying a xl650 in 40 sw and I am curious what shell plate comes with it. I know the small and large plate can work with 40sw but I want to load 9mm also so I need to know if I have to buy a small shell plate. Any information would be helpful.

Whatever caliber you buy with the press, the appropriate plate will come with it. So if you buy the press with a 40 SW setup, you'll get the bigger plate. If you order the 9mm set up in the future, the quick change kit, you'll get an smaller plate in that kit along with the appropriate accessories to swap out to reload 9.

I ordered mine set up with 9, then bought the 40 quick change kit. They are two different plates although I would guess technically, you could use the 40 plate for both I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by Meyer23

"Shell Plates" and "Casefeed Plates" are two different things.

I believe you will need a small Casefeed Plate.

Edit: "Small Pistol" that is.

Edited by TDA

I'm not sure you are speaking of the shell plate or the casefeed plate, they will both be to large for the 9mm. to work properly in. The 40 sw shell plate and case feed plate is larger which would allow a lot of movement on the shell plate, the same is true for the casefeed plate.

I have seen it stated that 40 works with the small casefeed plate, and 9 works with the large casefeed plate.

In my experience, the 40 had jamming problems in the 9 plate, serious enough to make me remove all the brass and replace with the large pistol plate.

Same issue with 9. Multiple jams in 9mm when using the large pistol plate.

That is my experience.

YMMV

I use the large plate. So far I've tried it on 9mm, 38 super, 38 super comp, 40 s+w (well 357 sig).

It works basically 99% with them all.

I very occasionally get 2 super cases hung up. Maybe once in every 2,000 rounds or more. Just flick them back and on it rolls.

In your case either plate should work fine but I've heard more people seem to like the large plate on 40.

my 9 and 38 super really hates the large plate, everything else works fine with large.

It's weird the different experiences people have. When I bought my current 650 the dealer only had a casefeeder with large plate. I intended to load only 9 and super on it and wanted a small. He assured me the large would work. I was skeptical as all hell but it's worked as well or better than my old casefeeder with the small plate worked with 9 (wasn't loading super when I had the old one). Both large and small plates have the same number of cutouts too so there's no change in the rate of feeding either. :)

my 9 and 38 super really hates the large plate, everything else works fine with large.

It's weird the different experiences people have. When I bought my current 650 the dealer only had a casefeeder with large plate. I intended to load only 9 and super on it and wanted a small. He assured me the large would work. I was skeptical as all hell but it's worked as well or better than my old casefeeder with the small plate worked with 9 (wasn't loading super when I had the old one). Both large and small plates have the same number of cutouts too so there's no change in the rate of feeding either. :)

I would guess that some are using the spacer washer under the plate when they shouldn't be for the calibers being discussed.