Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using coated bullets in a Comp'd gun

selecw

It's not so much the time as the hassle of digging into the comp of a brand new gun with a sharpened instrument :)

Kinda like buying cheapest gas for your brand new Porsche.

"Look! It still runs!!!"

I like your analogy! :cheers:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not so much the time as the hassle of digging into the comp of a brand new gun with a sharpened instrument :)

"Look! It still runs!!!"

I'd agree as long as my gas wasn't costing more per year than what I paid for the car.

"Look! It still runs!!!"

I'd agree as long as my gas wasn't costing more per year than what I paid for the car.

An interesting way of looking at the issue! :)

Say, you have a $5000 open gun (some actually cost much more), at 9 cents per bullet that's 55,555 bullets a year!

That is definitely much more than I shoot. :)

I have put 6k 125 Gr blues through my new CK in the last 4 months. I have cleaned my comp exactly once and only got a light dusting of lead but mostly carbon fouling. load is 8.1 gr of hs6 175 PF 9maj. Coated bullets are a fickle beast, but if you actually take the time to set them up right in your reload process they should not foul up your gun. If you dont flair your cases enough or you crimp past the point of just taking the flair out, you WILL get lead. Also a quick spray of one shot case lube in the comp every other stage keeps out a lot of the carbon even. Not to mention for the price of a case I save 100$ over plated and 100+ over jacketed, I can get another almost 2k bullets for that price. Until they start giving me a reason to stop, Ill keep shooting them! :cheers:

I have put 6k 125 Gr blues through my new CK in the last 4 months. I have cleaned my comp exactly once and only got a light dusting of lead but mostly carbon fouling. load is 8.1 gr of hs6 175 PF 9maj. Coated bullets are a fickle beast, but if you actually take the time to set them up right in your reload process they should not foul up your gun. If you dont flair your cases enough or you crimp past the point of just taking the flair out, you WILL get lead. Also a quick spray of one shot case lube in the comp every other stage keeps out a lot of the carbon even. Not to mention for the price of a case I save 100$ over plated and 100+ over jacketed, I can get another almost 2k bullets for that price. Until they start giving me a reason to stop, Ill keep shooting them! :cheers:

Well said, BB's are efficient, accurate, reasonably priced in bulk after the gun purchase"major investment" lowering consumables costs equates to more shooting& hopefully improvement and fun!

Don't shoot a coated bullet in a barrel that has popple holes.

My practice range has lots of steel available but does not allow jacketed bullets. My gun has 3 holes in the barrel and I've run coated 115 and 160 gr bullets loaded minor (around 140 PF) with no problems to date. Powder used is VV N320.

What kind of problems are you seeing?

Bill

"Look! It still runs!!!"

An interesting way of looking at the issue! :)

Say, you have a $5000 open gun (some actually cost much more), at 9 cents per bullet that's 55,555 bullets a year!

That is definitely much more than I shoot. :)

I have a $3000 open gun, and I'm looking at total ammunition cost.

I want to try them but just can't bring myself to do it. I was looking at bullets last night online and for a hundred bucks a case difference jacketed still seems like the best choice for Open

I am in the same boat. In addition, I tried them in my BulletFeeder, and they just do not work nearly as well, they don't stay put. And I am reluctant to re-adjust the 1050 for more bell just for them, as the PD or MG gold bullets work like a charm. They drop clean and they there.

I want to try them but just can't bring myself to do it. I was looking at bullets last night online and for a hundred bucks a case difference jacketed still seems like the best choice for Open

I don't blame you. I've used jacketed bullets ever since I got my first 9mm open gun and still would be using them exclusively if my practice range allowed them.

So for me it's not about cost but range access. For matches I'll continue to use MG 124gr JHP.

Bill

I shoot the BBI exclusevely with 125 gr projos using Autocomp in Open, and 147 gr projos with titegroup in minor guns for 3 gun. (I may be a little biased...). My load is 6.6gr AC, KKM barrel with 2 popple holes and 3 port comp with last port angled side cuts. I run 171 PF average with no leading in the holes or the comp. I also use case lube to protect the comp as a "just in case" measure. Smoke may be actually caused by this as well.

I have no issues with accuracy as well as consistency. It is worth it in the savings alone, especially since I am not sacrificing accuracy or consistency.

Well, my 124 plated Xtremes arrive tomorrow. I will shoot them back to back with the 124 and 135 Blue Bullets all using HS-6 and post the results for the gun and for accuracy. I will check for leading in the comp and for anything odd (??) in the popple holes.

I'll also take some video so folks can see which shoots flattest in the Witness Gold Team and which creates the most smoke.

7.7gr of HS-6 with the 124gr Xtreme (and S&B small rifle primers) is hitting 165PF more or less exactly. I only shot about 30 rounds of this load, but the red dot was still completely clean afterwards. Recoil feels about the same as .40 major in my Stock III.

• 1 year later...

I am just getting back into the sport and am wondering this same question.  I do have about 2 lbs of 3n37 I want to use up, how well do the coated bullets work with 3n37?  Looking at using 124, maybe will even drop to 115's.  Any load data or suggestions I would be completely open to.

Not all coated bullets are the same!  Some are moly, some poly, some Hi-Tech, etc.

I have found the Blue Bullets in 125grain stand up and are accurate enough in my 9 major gun for weekly matches out to 30 yards.  I still feel more comfortable with Montana Gold for major matches.

I really don't have any more crap in my comp with the Blue Bullets than i get with MGs. 

I typicaly use rainier plated bullets for Open and cannot tell the difference between jacket and plated.  One of the clubs I shoot at will not permit jacketed or plated for steel, so I've spent a good deal of time testing different poly coated bullets.  My favorite so far are Premier bullets- accurate and consistent.  However, they should not be used in Open pistols.  The gas flame cuts the coating and you end up leading your comp.

Acme, Bayou and BBI bullets all work well in a pistol with two poppels and a comp and show no traces of leading in the comp.  They are all coated with the Hi-Tek coating, so I'm supposing that any bullet so coated will work.

As a side note, the Rainiers and jacketed bullets group the best in my pistol.  Only the Premier bullet matches them.  The other three are not as accurate, but more than good enough for steel.

Hello: I am using the Acme coated bullets right now. They seem to shoot just fine. I am using 115's and will be trying some 121's shortly. I use HS-6 and would think 3N37 maybe a little hot for coated bullets. I have seen a lot of bullet tumbling out of plated bullets around here. I am also shooting these out of a 1-32 twist barrel. I will try them in a 1-16 next. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2015 at 6:56 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

My practice range has lots of steel available but does not allow jacketed bullets. My gun has 3 holes in the barrel and I've run coated 115 and 160 gr bullets loaded minor (around 140 PF) with no problems to date. Powder used is VV N320.

What kind of problems are you seeing?

Bill

I was seeing the coating being taken off through the popple holes and causing leading in the comp.